14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Anyone interested in helping me translate some German?

Gil

I am trying to negotiate the purchase of some engine parts out of a Fiat from a seller on ebay Germany. Am struggling using babelfish. The seller does not understand English.

I desperately want to make this work out as I need this part for a 66 Abarth and the parts I need (cam and distributor) are NLA and impossible to find used.

TIA,

Gil

That's way better than babelfish. Still some things that don't quite make sense. It also depends on how correct the German spelling is too or if there are typos.

I think the seller tried to use the word "carton" but tried to use his interpretation of it and it came out as "kartoon".

I am kinda worried he thinks I want the whole engine or maybe the friggin' vehicle!

Yup, good 'ol cashola always works. I actually offered him almost as much for the parts as he wanted for the whole vehicle (it's actually a van). I sure got a reply PDQ. And he doesn't know I'd possibly pay several times that for the parts.

Gil

Might try contacting the Foreign Language Dept. at a local college and see if you can contact the German professor(s). I used that method to communicate with the woman who became, and continues to be for the past 33 yrs., my wife. I returned to Eugene, OR from a trip to Mexico where I'd met her.

She didn't speak any English and I spoke no español, so, I contacted the Foreign Language Dept at the University of Oregon and got a teacher who came over to my house several times and translated over the phone for me. He eventually joined me when I drove back down to Mexico and was instrumental is facilitating our early conversations.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Bob Napier

I am trying to negotiate the purchase of some engine parts out of a Fiat from a seller on ebay Germany. Am struggling using babelfish. The seller does not understand English.

I desperately want to make this work out as I need this part for a 66 Abarth and the parts I need (cam and distributor) are NLA and impossible to find used.

TIA,

Gil

Gil, send me an email, I can help.

Dieter