14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

bmw color matching

norma

I was just talking with a guy who's going to do some bodywork and paint on my 67 1602. I've stripped it, dipped it, derusted it, and I want to paint it the same color it was originally--Bristol Grey (BMW 058). How can I make sure it's as close as I can get to the original Bristol Grey? He can color match from a BMW chip but is there a better way that we don't know about? Thanks.

the surest way would have been to take a chip from the inside of the car...around the dash or other interior places that had paint...

if you don't have any of the original paint left, a chip will be you're only solution...mixing from a formula is sketchy at best...the paints used today are not formulated the same as the paints from that time and surely will be different

The best place for scanning a paint match is the underside of the trunk--which hopefully shouldn't have had much exposure. If you are doing a total repaint, I would go with the formula from the paint manufacturer (for ease in matching future needs). I have had good luck with Glasurit 22 Line (single stage) for the riviera color (036 paint code), but paint prices are getting up there these days. Of course, any competent body shop should be able custom blend any paint to perfectly match original panels.