Smoking issue - thoughts?

PSloan

So I just bought this 76 2002. It starts up with no smoke, decels with no smoke and generally runs with no smoke. It burns a little bit of oil - but nothing abnormal. Anyways, my issue is that it smokes during first gear acceleration only. Just a puff - and then it is gone through the entire rev and gear range. I haven't seen any noticible coolant loss - the brake fluid is low but I haven't had the car long enough to monitor it's level.

I'm personally thinking it's the brake fluid and hoping it's not coolant. What are your thoughts?

GOT mocochino inside the oil filler cap ?

coolent look muddy ?

change the oil and filter and call back

after 100 miles of driving

and

you can remove the 2-nutts for the master cyliinder

and pull it forward (leave the pipes connected

but pay attention to the rubber seal ring for the master -

that you don't misplace it!) to peek down inside

the booster for collection of B-fluid - stick a paper

towel on a stick down into the booster for a

smear sample - to disprove your b-fluid theory.

What color is the smoke? Did the car sit for a long time before you started driving it?

My old tii used to smoke at the top of 1st and 2nd gears. Switching from Castrol GTX to Valvoline 20w50 improved this and the oil consumption, but (obviously) didn't eliminate either sympton altogether.

Since the car is new to you, you probably don't know what weight oil is in the sump. An oil change to 20w-50 may well cure the problem.

Excessive moisture in the exhaust (indicating a possible coolant leak into a cylinder) after the engine has warmed up can be spotted by holding a piece of paper towel or toilet paper over the exhaust--engine must be at normal operating temperature and the tail pipe at least warm. If the paper is quickly wetted and/or disintegrates, you have a coolant leak somewhere. Oil or brake fluid smoke won't do that.

Does the smoke puff on 1st gear acceleration only occur when the engine is cold/first started? That's just an indication of slightly worn rings and possibly slightly worn valve guides/stem seals...just enough so the vacuum created in the cylinders when you shut the engine off will suck just a little oil into the cylinders. It only takes a little to create noticeable smoke.

mike

It's quite the opposite. It smokes at operating temp only and not at idle. I'll do some routine maintenance this weekend and report back.

Since the car is new to you, you probably don't know what

weight oil is in the sump. An oil change to 20w-50 may well cure the problem.

Excessive moisture in the exhaust (indicating a possible coolant leak into a cylinder) after the engine has warmed up can be spotted by holding a piece of paper towel or toilet paper over the exhaust--engine must be at normal operating temperature and the tail pipe at least warm. If the paper is quickly wetted and/or disintegrates, you have a coolant leak somewhere. Oil or brake fluid smoke won't do that.

Does the smoke puff on 1st gear acceleration only occur when the engine is cold/first started? That's just an indication of slightly worn rings and possibly slightly worn valve guides/stem seals...just enough so the vacuum created in the cylinders when you shut the engine off will suck just a little oil into the cylinders. It only takes a little to create noticeable smoke.

mike

Sounds similar to the situation with my '76. Generally ran OK but puffed on takeoff from a stop. The longer the stop, the more smoke, i.e., a short several-second stop didn't smoke, but a minute or two at the light puffed a bit. This is likely a classic case of worn valve guide seals. When in a high-vacuum state, i.e., idling or coasting, oil is sucked down from the valve gallery into the cylinders past the worn guide seals. When taking off, the oil burns more rapidly, making a puff. I'm betting that when letting off on the gas, say when coasting to a stop or shifting gears, there's a small puff, too. You probably can't see it from inside. Solution: new valve guide seals, and, hey, you might as well replace the guides and maybe valves, too, depending on how they look. On the other hand, you could just let it go for a good while . . .

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 2002!

If the paper is quickly wetted and/or disintegrates,

AND tastes sweet...

If it's coolant, you'll be able to taste it.

Don't EAT it, though...

Water's a normal combustion by- product.

Ethylene glycol is not.

And if'n it was me, I'd change the brake fluid, coolant and oil,

and then just monitor levels. And the engine temp!

And then drive it. A lot. Pretty hard.

Because 2002 engines don't like sitting, and I've cured more

than one oil- burning engine simply by using it a lot.

hth

t