what car did these seats come from?

thaddeussmith

It's hard to tell from here.

I'd be interested to see the bottom and look at the seat tracks.

The squaretail 2002s have flat track that attaches like the E21 cars. Pretty easy to swap E21 seats back and forth.

As I recall, the Motorsport circular logo and associated red/blue/violet colors have been around since the factory-backed CSLs of the early 70s. The 1974 2002 turbo uses Motorsport colors.

Recaro has had a relationship with BMW since the early 1980s for the E21 320is and there were Recaro options available on E30 M3s and likely other models as well.

I have what I believe is a set of Recaro-built sport seats from a Euro E30 323i (ca. 1984) in my 318is. They use very unique seat tracks (with BMW part numbers) that bolt directly to the E30 floor. There are also BMW embossed hinge covers. As you can see they are fitted with Recaro mesh headrests which are not compatible the more typical E30 factory sport seats for USA models. FWIW, E21 seats will absolutely not bolt directly into the E30 model.

I've been told that Recaro made seats for numerous applications and that it was possible to get factory-issue BMW fabric and other extra-cost features (like embroidery) as a custom order from Recaro, USA. I cannot confirm this as fact, but the source is well-informed.

I think what you have there is a pair of Recaro seats that may have been custom ordered for an E21 in the late 70s - early 80s.

Delia

post-18404-13667634740412_thumb.jpg

post-18404-13667634742895_thumb.jpg