• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to pick up a timing light...any advice?

jrhone

Looking at digital ones because a wise man told me to get a digital one....but which one...does it matter? Any suggestions on brand and model? Sears has a few...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

My wife got me this one for an early X-mas gift. I've used it on both our cars and found it very easy to maneuver, considering where we have to point it. With the detachable cord, and built in tach, it was very easy to use... and the price is right.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3568-Digital-Inductive-Pick-Up/dp/B000EVYGV4

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

My wife got me this one for an early X-mas gift. I've used it on both our cars and found it very easy to maneuver, considering where we have to point it. With the detachable cord, and built in tach, it was very easy to use... and the price is right.

+1 I recently bought the Equus 5568--pretty much the same tool as the 3568, but supports two-stroke motors as well. You know, on the off chance my motor becomes a two-stroke.

Should have saved the $33 and bought the 3568.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Quote:" .....considering where we have to point it ...."

I bought the Sears TL that looks like the Equus style. Wide head with flex point in the middle. Found it very difficult to get flashlamp on axis with viewing hole in transmission. Carb and smog equipment blocked the rather large handle unit.

Solution was took timiing light apart and separated head from trigger boards with a foot of wire. Then, smaller head only part fit in position for lighting the ball in the hole. Worked really excellent.

Incidentally, the smallest one I've seen is the Snap-On .... but .... I'll bet it is really pricey.

Oh, and instead of a trigger, there's a button to turn the light on and off, you don't have to hold it in..! I effing loved that. - much easier to make dizzy adjustments when you only have to aim the light..

..but then, I can't chew bubble gum and walk either.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I have the equus 5568 and it woks great. Equus also makes timing lights for Snap-On and Craftsman. A friend who drives a Snap-On truck told me to buy the Equus because the online price is cheaper than his cost on the exact same light branded with Snap-On's name.

74 Golf

+1 I recently bought the Equus 5568--pretty much the same tool as the 3568, but supports two-stroke motors as well. You know, on the off chance my motor becomes a two-stroke.

Should have saved the $33 and bought the 3568.

LOL!

'73 2002

'00 M5

I dunno why you need digital, but whatever, we live in the digital age I guess.

Mine is an old (read 25 yrs. at least) Sunpro Timing Analyzer. It has an anolog rotary switch and dial gauge to advance timing, induction pickup and a xenon bulb.

It's been used on the last 15-20 fun cars I've had and never let me down. My buddies always ask me to bring my light over because all their newfangled ones either won't get into the required area, or they're too dim to read against the reference mark.

It'll die someday, hopefully before me, and then I'll have to settle for one of them newfangled ones and fully immerse into this digital age. ;)

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I have an Equis that I use a lot, but more often than not I use the battery operated light with no advance. Really handy on motorcycles as well as engines running magnetos. I'm a big fan of verifying timing marks and marking or using a timing tape to be able to see the rest of the degrees.

My battery operated one is similar to....

http://www.tooltopia.com/atd-tools-5598.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=ATD5598&utm_campaign=googlebase_18u

I've always used an old one that looks like that Sunpro, I think it is either from Sears or Pennys. My father bought it when he was in high school, never let us down. Why is digital better? Am I missing some new-fangled nifty features?

I dont know but a highly regarded 02 guy STRESSED a digital one. I repeated "digital?" he said.."yes a digital one!"...Next time I talk to him I'll ask why digital...I thought maybe its a common thing now...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Both me and my dad have one of these. Mines cerca 70's or so and his is circa 80's. Works no problem for me! Looks like they may not be sold anymore but still a good light used.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921023000P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2