• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On the verge of classic BMW ownership (2000C coupe)

TrentD

Hello everyone. Nice forum you got yourselves here.

I have a quandary.

A friend of mine in Texas was given what appears to be an old 2000C coupe for a graduation present for his son. Well, long story short, he got in over his head and his son ended up moving out of state, so it's just sat in a field in the West Texas desert for almost two years.

The car was offered to me (as the "car guy" in our group of friends) for free if I just want to fix the old gal up. Clean title and all.

Problem is I have no clue what I'm doing with classic Bimmers. I have restored a first gen Mazda Miata and am currently putting together a 1965 Mustang for the wife, but both of those have crazy availability in aftermarket and online resources that I haven't yet found for this particular model of classic BMW.

She's a runner. Carb could use a rebuild. She has only light rust, having spent her whole life in Texas. The interior is dry-rotted and what you'd expect to find with what is essentially a "barn find".

What would you do? Would you take on this project? Are engine and interior components as difficult to find as unicorn poop? Are there other online forums or resources that I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks for reading,

Trent

post-19184-13667634693955_thumb.jpg

Join e9coupe.com, this is related to the e9 in that they rust at the same incredibly fast rate. Although Texas is a dry state it can still rust, especially if left outside and it appears there is rust in your one photo.. We need to see more shots, inspect the fender seems in the engine bay, strut tops, rockers after you remove the covers (three pieces underneath), open glove box, do you see daylight to the engine bay? Interior trim is next to impossible to find, better to find a parts car with good interior bits if needed. Mechanicals are the easy part, inspect the body thoroughly before dumping any money in it. Good luck.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

I joined e9coupes earlier today. I'm still waiting for my account to be activated.

Good info. Thanks. I'm kinda relying on pictures at the moment as the car is a 15 hour drive from me at the moment, and I haven't seen the car in person yet. I will have my friend check the items you mentioned. I am capable of patching up the sheetmetal if necessary, but if it's a total rust bucket, I'm not going to bother.

So the interior parts are model specific. What about the running gear? Does the 2000C share drivetrain components with any other models?

Mechanics are shared with 2002 in many areas. Body panels won't be the issue, it is the unseen structural areas, interior is unique to this model. There have been a few truly rusted out 2000C's on C/L and eBay recently, perhaps you can find them. Firewall and front fender/strut mounts are key. That engine bay has been exposed to the elements for quite some time which causes me some concern. The e9 Admin will get you in shortly.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Welcome aboard Trent- I second what Chris told you.

The interior parts are what will be difficult to obtain. You could build it like Norm did and run a sparse interior.

The purists may cringe but I would rather see it on the road then sitting in a field.

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/05/08/bat-exclusive-rally-modified-1966-bmw-2000c/

Good luck and hope it works out for you. There is a pretty active 2002 group in the Houston area and some other Texans as well. You might post in the main forum to make connections.

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

I joined e9coupes earlier today. I'm still waiting for my account to be activated.

Good info. Thanks. I'm kinda relying on pictures at the moment as the car is a 15 hour drive from me at the moment, and I haven't seen the car in person yet. I will have my friend check the items you mentioned. I am capable of patching up the sheetmetal if necessary, but if it's a total rust bucket, I'm not going to bother.

So the interior parts are model specific. What about the running gear? Does the 2000C share drivetrain components with any other models?

Hardly anything specific to these cars is available new. The biggest issue here are some of the brake parts, which to my knowledge are not shared with any other BMW model. I had my calipers and brake master cylinder rebuilt by White Post Restorations. (The rear brakes are not a problem as they use the same parts as the E21 320i).

Most drivetrain and suspension parts were also used by other BMWs, especially 2002s. Shock absorbers may be hard to find.

For interior parts, if you want 'original' parts, you will have to have them made by an upholsterer. You can adapt parts from the E9 6 cylinder CS.

Some body parts rear of the front windshield are also shared with the E9s.

They were top of BMW's line when new and are fun to drive. If the car you are considering has an automatic transmission, less so!

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Excellent info!

To the post above, I have seen Norm's car and that is probably what I will do aesthetically, more out of necessity than anything. I'd rather be utilitarian and have a really cool runner than try to be a numbers matching restorer that will spend $20,000 to end up with a really nice $5,000 car. Heh.

Correct me if I'm wrong about my fundamental assumptions about this model: It is rare, but not necessarily collectible. Meaning parts are impossible to find, but sinking a ton of money into it isn't a wise investment. It's kind of the red-headed stepchild of the classic Bimmer world, forgotten by the populus and the enthusiast alike.

Now to some, that sounds like a bad thing. To me, that sounds like a challenge. I could make this thing into something really cool.

I welcome more input/corrections. As soon as my friend sends more photos my way, I will update.

Thanks,

Trent

Many people lust over the Coupes body lines. Some people do not like the early grill but I do. The early ones are considered heavy and slow. That is why the 6 cylinder coupes are more " collectible". People will always have their opinions and preferences, but will generally be happy to see it back on the road. There is a pretty good number of stock early coupes. There has been many early coupes for sale on the internet this last year, that generally tend not to sell. You generally would need a very strong sentimental reason and a garage full of money to pull it off a restoration. Unless you are lucky to find a complete car. I love seeing any vintage BMW on the road.

Andy S in Arkansas has a nice one that has a newer drive train. He also has a parts car.

Elliott in Wisconsin owns one of the nicest original coupes that I have seen. He paid good money for it at coupe king. ( below pictures with my NK)

post-19184-13667634735602_thumb.jpg

post-19184-13667634736429_thumb.jpg

Joseph O'Neil

Save it! Mechanicals are easy and any parts unique to the Coupe can be interchanged with common 02 bits with a little modification. As you say, build something that's fun like Norms old car and don't spend a fortune trying to make her factory correct and fresh.

IMO these are so much cooler than their big coupe sisters.

Check out this beauty coming together in Denmark:

http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2145

M42installed.jpg

Karensgarage004Small.jpg

this is my wife's 67 M42 powered 2000Ca. Thanks to the knowledge around here it now sports a 2002 wiper motor, a modified E 21 center support and a modified E 30 shift surround.(actually 2 cut and fitted together). The floors are weak behind the front seats and that is probably going to get the big fix this spring/summer.

Very nice Andy!

I clearly have a lot to learn.

That motor looks like it's at home in that engine bay. I saw some of your build pics on it. Didn't look that complicated. I'm sure my wife would love for me to put a slushbox in this thing, but I like to row my own gears, so it will probably stay a manual.

Your car is very nice too Joseph. Clean clean.

Don't worry Nick, if it's my power, I'll save her. Even if it ends up being some kind of weird hybrid of BMW parts, at least it will be up and running. Heck, it already is a hybrid. One of the first pics I got of the car showed a trunk lid with a "Bavaria" badge on it. That was the only badging on the car, and you had best believe it took me forever to even figure out what this car was after being thrown off the right track by that badge.

EDIT: Just checked out Nick's link. WOW, that looks amazing. He is doing it right with the rotisserie build. Of course, he sure started with a gem of a car. Looks like it didn't have hardly any rust to begin with.

Awesome. Wow, that page has a lot of parts. Has anyone been able to get parts here in the states from them? Am I going to have to sprechen sie deutche at some point with this project? haha.

Still waiting for my e9coupes acitvation to take. :/

I sent an email to their admin.

Shipping from Europe is very expensive of course.

Do you live in Texas? There are many guys there with 2002 parts cars.

Also check with Andy S to see what is going on with his 2000 parts car

here is another beautiful early coupe to keep you motivated.

post-19184-13667634832517_thumb.jpg

Joseph O'Neil