tii water pump, what are my options?

bluedevils

It is acting badly, it could be the alternator pulley/belt but I hear a bad bearing sound coming from front of the engine behind the orange fan. It appears that new tii water pumps are pricey. This was replaced a few years back and I remember mechanic had to make a shim to make it work despite i was a new tii pump. So, since I don't use the tii injection anymore (currently converted to 318i EFI), one option is to replace the front timing chain cover with a regular one I have and install the cheaper 2002 water pump. Since I am not paying to a mechanic $$$, I will do it myself and would like to know if it is a weekend job or not. What are the steps? drain the coolant/water from the engine first, I guess. How easy is to remove the fan and pump from the top of the engine bay? I don't want to drive the car in this condition when the tempo gauge flickers around the red line (wiring and temp sensor are good). It is my daily driver until I get my new 318is from the shop in a few months.

just did this on my non-tii this past weekend. Not sure what differs between the two, but here were my steps:

Drain radiator.

Drain block (coolant plug is under exhaust manifold near #1)

Disconnect hoses from radiator and CAREFULLY extract ..not a whole lot of clearance.

Loosen alternator and remove belt

Disconnect the hoses from water pump.

Remove the 4 bolts holding on the fan and pulley, then remove both.

Remove the 7 bolts, carefully noting their location - they are different sizes and lengths.

Remove old water pump, clean the mating surface on the block of any old gasket material. I used a little bit of steel wool just to be sure. Clean out that cavity thoroughly after this step.

Put on new gasket and water pump, tighten the bolts down in a criss-cross pattern.

Put everything on in reverse

Add fluids, burp as necessary.

Mine had the same grinding noise you mention, and it was quite obvious once I dug in that the water pump was the culprit. Now the fan moves smooth and true, no bearing noise.

Thanks Guys. Got a replacement coming, and I will start working on it this week, despite it has been brutally cold outside, yes even the southeast gets cold sometimes. I will replace the starter (w/ M3 type), alternator (e30) as well while I am there. I need the car for at least 2 more months so, there is no way around it (wish I didn't sell my V850 last summer!)

Al; a tip I find useful when reinstalling the fan. Grind down a small wooden dowel (the o.d. of the fan bolts) to a point on one end and about 2" long. If you don't have a dowel, modify a pencil. Use this in one hole to hold the fan from turning while you insert the first bolt. Otherwise it's a bit of a bitch to keep all the holes lined up while reinstalling, 'cause you can't see what's going on once the fan's up against the water pump.

Bob Napier

just did this on my non-tii this past weekend. Not sure what differs between the two, but here were my steps:

Drain radiator.

Disconnect hoses from radiator and CAREFULLY extract ..not a whole lot of clearance. ...

Did you remove the radiator? Looks like you didn't, just to make sure..

Drain radiator.

Disconnect hoses from radiator and CAREFULLY extract ..not a whole lot of clearance. ...

Did you remove the radiator? Looks like you didn't, just to make sure..

yes, it was implied in the step "disconnect hoses from the radiator and carefully extract ..not a whole lot of clearance.."

Sorry about the ambiguity.