14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

2002 Novice Questions

jackhorbal

Hello fellow 2002 enthusiasts;

I am very new to the group. I just purchased a 1970 2002 and have some basic questions. I am sure I'll have more down the road.

1. GAS.

What gas should I use? 87? 89? 93?

I do not plan to drive the car during the winter. Is it better to sit with a full or half-full tank? I'd rather not keep too much gas since with the limited amount of driving I envision doing (Sunday joy rides) I won't use it up anytime soon.

2. OIL

How often to change oil? Is every 6 months sufficient? Mileage will not be a factor since it will be negligible? What viscosity oil? Synthetic?

3. EXTERIOR

What is a good cleaner/tar remover? What is a good wax? What product to use on rubber seals around doors, trunk lid etc.? What to clean chrome with?

4. INTERIOR

What to use to clean vinyl seats?

I am looking to forward to hearing the group's wisdom.

Thank you,

Jack

Just MHO...

1. The lowest your motor is happy with, my first 02 had to run 93 or it knocked like crazy (likely carbon build up, leads to a higher compression ratio) current runs fine on 87. Leave the tank full, some like to add Stabil that helps preserve the gas over the winter

2. About every 3000 miles, 20w50. Heavier weight seems to help it stay inside the motor too.....

3. Don't wash mine, scared of rust...kidding...a little, no preference.

4. No recomendation

Enjoy the O2!

1. GAS.

What gas should I use? 87? 89? 93? = ALL THREE ARE O.K.

I do not plan to drive the car during the winter.

Is it better to sit with a full or half-full tank? = FULL - PREVENTS CONDINSATION BUILD UP AND RUSTING INSIDE THE TANK

2. OIL

How often to change oil? Is every 6 months = YES , 6 MONTHS

WITH 'REG' MINERAL OIL, 12 MONTHS WITH SYNTHETIC OIL

Mileage will not be a factor since it will be

negligible? What viscosity oil? Synthetic? = 10W-40, 15W/40, 15W-50,

20W-50

3. EXTERIOR

What product to use on rubber seals around doors,

trunk lid seals?= GUMIFLEDGE OR VASOLINE

oiltempchart.jpg

02lubchart2.jpg

02SERVICEDATA1and2.jpg

02sickersb.jpg

2. OIL

>>20w50 organic

3. EXTERIOR

What is a good cleaner/tar remover?

>>see this site for your exterior needs: http://store.carcareonline.com/

What is a good wax?

>>Blitz wax

What product to use on rubber seals around doors, trunk lid etc.?

>>Zymol on rubber seals. A non-silicone based product has been recommended.

What to clean chrome with?

>>usually just soap and water... have used mothers metal polish on my sunroof chrome.

4. INTERIOR

What to use to clean vinyl seats?

>>vinylex

Oil- if running the regular 20/50 oil, I go with a 3000-4000 mile interval. I've had good luck with Valvoline oil and Castrol as well. If running synthetic oils, the interval can be pushed out further. Many oil mfgrs say 5000 to 7500 miles. I don't know if I'm too comfortable with that long. The tech at RedLine oil did tell us that if you change your oil every 3000 miles, then you really won't see any benefit to using synthetics. He said the additives in the regular oil breakdown sooner than they do in the synthetics, hence the longer intervals for the RedLines and Mobil 1's.

Tar remover- I like to use 3M general purpose cleaner. It is safe on cured paint and metals, BUT watch out on plastics. It may attack certain types.

Chrome cleaner- watch what it is you are trying to clean. The bumpers are chromed steel and you can use something like Mothers or Simichrome to clean them up. The grilles and the upper trim are all anodized aluminum. Do a search on how to clean/restore this stuff. Many of us have tried variuos methods with various results.

Interior Vinyl- Vinylex is good stuff. I prefer to use 303 Protectant. Wipe it on, use an old toothbrush to get in the cracks and seams, then buff it off with a clean cloth. It seems to leave less of a 'wet look' than a lot of products I've tried.

Wax and stuff- Call up Meguiars. They have techs that will ask you what you are trying to acheive and can recommend products. They have some good stuff at good prices. They have also made some real crap (interior, leather, etc...), but for the most part they do good on paint cleaners/waxes.

The last tube I got of Gummi-Pflege was from the dealer a couple of years ago. I'd think if your parts dept. at the dealer is not lazy they could get it for you. It's very good on the rubber seals on our cars and easy to apply. The P/N is 82 14 9 407 015. It's not real cheap (what at the dealer is?) but a little goes a long way and a tube will last you for years, and I have two daily driver ' 02s, live at 4,000 ft elevation in high UV exposure Southern Arizona. [Note]

For many years I used Meguiar's Paint Cleaner, followed by their Polish, then One Grand Blitz paste carnuba wax, but now days I leave it all up to my son who has a car detailing business and uses Chemical Guys products for everything. Chemical Guys stuff is sold to professionals only and they do no advertising, but their stuff is great. They've been in busness for 30 yrs.

Bob Napier

post--1-13667634721787_thumb.jpg