14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Body rust and rain

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I hav always treated my 2002 pretty well, mostly garaged, however It does have a small amount of body rust (lower quarte panel, lower part of winshield). I was wOndering if leaving it in the rain woul have any effect on this rust, I don't want anymore to develop. anyOne else had experience with this?

over time, yes. even misture in the air develops rust. if you can, spray some primer over it once every few months..if not. WD40 does an ok job of preventing if you let it drip into infected areas

Primer does not seal it or prevent rust. You have to remove the rust and use an epoxy primer or sealing/etching primer for it to seal it. Primer is made to absorb and bond. So it absorbs moisture. WD40 displaces the water, hell that's what the WD stands for, Water Displacer. But it'll only help temporarily.

Guest Anonymous

the only thing that keeps the rust in check is fiberglas resin. Rusted area must be physically brought down to metal, then treated with rust converter (rust into oxide) then covered the fiberglas resin. Resin can be sanded once hardened and then primer and paint overtop. Fiberglas resin bonds with the metal better than any other product (I've been told.)

the only thing that keeps the rust in check is fiberglas resin. Rusted area must be physically brought down to metal, then treated with rust converter (rust into oxide) then covered the fiberglas resin. Resin can be sanded once hardened and then primer and paint overtop. Fiberglas resin bonds with the metal better than any other product (I've been told.)

according to your post the resin isn't keeping the rust in check. the fact that you removed it, "brought down to metal, then treated with rust converter". Resin placed over rust does nothing, it'll rust underneath. The only way to really deal with rust is to remove it. Though I have had good luck with treating it with rust converters in a pinch, I like POR-15 if it's just light rust, otherwise it needs to come off.

Guest Anonymous

believe it or not I had an Alfa with rust at the bottom of the windshield. Ground out most of the rust but couldn't get all of it. Encapsulated with fiberglass resin and the rust remained unchanged for many years.

In fact, the better method is to remove rust entirely, and if you can't get the remnants in the small cavities convert it to oxide with chemicals. Then coat with fiberglas resin (it keeps air and moisture away from the previously rusted surfaces .... therefore preventing further rust.) Primer and topcoat are additional barriers to moisture and further rusting.

I had a bad experience with POR-15. Admittedly, I didn't apply the coats in the proper indoor environment or properly remove wax and silicone before painting. I painted outside after light sanding as a temporary protection before a full repaint could be made. Within days the gray faded to beige .... and the paint flaked off. I don't know why.

I had a bad experience with POR-15. Admittedly, I didn't apply the coats in the proper indoor environment or properly remove wax and silicone before painting. I painted outside after light sanding as a temporary protection before a full repaint could be made. Within days the gray faded to beige .... and the paint flaked off. I don't know why.

Light sanding may have been the issue, POR-15 does not stick well to bare metal. It bonds to the rust. As for the fading, there is no UV protection in POR-15 and needs to be topcoated if it's to be in the sunlight.