Car Wont Fire Up

Frenchee

When I first had this car it had a terrible engine. The headgasket blew so my friend slash step father Jan in San Jose pretty much swapped another one in for me.

I have been driving the car everyday with the new engine ever since summer no problem!

THE RAIN COMES.

First start of the morning I start up the car, like usual it wants to die because its freezing cold. I get it down my street and park it. I come back outside 5 min later to start it. It wont start. Just cranks. I clean the plugs sand them down a bit etc mess with the distributor cap and it starts up.

2 weeks later...

Yesterday same thing! I start the car for the first time in the morning. It fires up vroom vroom Im giving it gas and then it dies after 4 seconds of it firing. I remove the plugs AGAIN this time they had some oil but at the bottom where the big nut is. I think thats from the valve cover gasket leaking a bit. I clean em up sand em brush em up pop em back in. VROOM.

Im off again...

This morning. I turn on the car. Vroom same thing it fires up for 3 seconds. THen dies. I try to turn it back on. Nothing. Just cranking. Battery dies after several tries...

Tonight I pull out the spark plugs and clean en up etc hoping it would go again. Well NO! It wants to fire up. If only u could hear me imitate it...

Wirr=cranking

Pop= explosion/firing

Wirr Wirr Wirr Wirr POP POP wirr Wirr pop pop pop wirr wirr wirr shake shake wirr popp pop wirr.

It wont really want to fire up.

Any suggestions?

start there. if not, make sure your getting spark to splugs. pull one, lay it on somehing metalic or put a screw driver near it and crank. if your getting a good blue spark, great. youve eliminated some probs. if not, check and probably replace the points (if youve driven for a year with out changing them, the they probly need to be adjusted.) if they are ok, its possibly the coil

that and make sure your not leaking out of the carb gasket...i just had a pile of trouble tracking that one down. gasket leaking caused low vaccuum, meaning i wasnt drawing fuel into engine. nothning but experience of others to thank there

Next, try the coil. Swap in another and eliminate that idea.

If that doesn't help, then reset the motor to TDC and manually double check your timing. Pull the valve cover and align the mark on the cam head with the oil tube as seen in the picture, then confirm that your distributor is pointing at the line stamped into it's lip under the cap. When timed correctly, the rotor will be pointing just a few degrees before this mark on the dizzy.

92a20bde.jpg

These steps will at least tell you that your ignition system is tuned relatively well. If it fires and runs, set the timing with a light to be spot on.

If it doesn't, you can confidently look else where.

damp or wet is most usually ignition related. Check the following

Oily or greasy ignition wires, spark plug terminals, coil top and dizzy cap--clean 'em up and then try.

Pop off dizzy cap, clean the cap's insides & the rotor with carb cleaner and dry thoroughly, then try.

Install fresh spark plugs; with plugs out, check to see that you have a nice fat blue spark at the plugs. If not, check battery voltage and coil.

Install new plug wires; inspect dizzy cap insides for cracks (will show up as fine black lines) and if present, replace cap.

Once you've determined that the ignition is in good shape, then move on to the carburetor, but my bet is on ignition. Wet, oily goop on your plugs, wires, dizzy cap and coil top will allow the high voltage necessary to fire the plugs to dissapate before reaching the plugs, thus giving you a weaker spark.

cheers

mike

I love my droid... cruising the forums during the most boring class ever.

So I see its either carb or ignition...

I'm going to mess with the ignition first like suggested then move on to carb.

I really appreciate whoever posted that explanation and picture on timiing. U make it seem easy. I'm gonna check that out.

I love my droid... cruising the forums during the most boring class ever.

So I see its either carb or ignition...

I'm going to mess with the ignition first like suggested then move on to carb.

I really appreciate whoever posted that explanation and picture on timiing. U make it seem easy. I'm gonna check that out.

I have a question about the timing picture and explanation. By lining up the camshaft head mark with the oiling bar, does that find TDC? Or does TDC need to be found seperately?

It gives you TDC.

OH, and you must pull the plugs, then turn the motor by pulling up on the V belt from the passenger side.

I put this together a week or so ago:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,350584/