New Toy.. Gotta Share!!!

Clownman

You did not have email listed, so sorry to bypass topic, but I read your link and this phrase caught my eye:

Under the car....

Complete overhaul, powder coat everything, Stage 2, Billy Sports, Poly Bushings everywhere... undercoat everything.... basically I'm removing the entire underside of the car and making it look like new...

I was wondering if you could elaborate on this process a bit... since I am just about ready to get started on that myself. Did you blast with some media... or just scrape like hell... or get out a power wire wheel... just wanted to know how you approached the job. My '75 underside is mainly surface rust and crud.. no previous undercoating of any sort.

Once you have the surface cleaned and prep'd, did you just prime and paint or truly powder coat?

Thanks,

Randy

The turbo is a Garrett GT2860RS/ Comp Housing A/R: .60 a/r, Turbine Housing A/R: .64 a/r, Turbine Wheel Trim: 76 T3 housing with 4 bolt exhaust housing and externally wastegated PN 739548-5

As for the under body I'm not powdercoating the body its self rather everything that can be removed. There are a few pics of all the steering, subframe, control arms and all the other suspension pieces that I powdercoated. For the body, I have build a rotisserie that the car will get mounted to and I figure for about 2 days I will be scraping, grinding, welding and all the other fun stuff to make it look like new. Once I get it to bare steel it will get a good coat of etching primer and then top coated with a truck bed liner from Duplacolor. The fender wells, halfway up the firewall and the entire under body will be getting this treatment.

Any other questions let me know.

Chris

I ordered a 666 Fabrication Manifold from Jon. Should be here sometime this week.

Clay, are you running the 318 efi on your car with the Megasquirt?

No EFI yet; I'm running the EDIS off of the MS.....but I'm going M42 soon.

I was curious what intake you were using. I might be able to source a modified early-320i manifold if you're interested.

Thanks. I have been looking at turbos a lot lately trying to decide if spending the money for a good one is worth it to me than buying a chinese no-name knock off one for a third of the price. I am thinking of going a little smaller than yours - only aiming for a little over 200 hp.

What are your plans for the front where you removed some sheet metal? Are you leaving as is or are you fabricating some sort of reinforcements?

Clay,

How did you set up the EDIS? I have been looking at the parts but im not really sure what i need. There are kits on Ebay that have the wheel, sensor, plug wires, and all that other stuff, its not that much money either. Did you just find yours at a junk yard? As for the manifold I'm going the 318i route. I'm talking to a guy that is getting me the entire fuel system pump to injectors and the intake manifold. He also has a 325i throttle body that im gonna use with the TPS. Also getting the water neck off the engine.

As for the nose section, I will be welding in a straight 1" square tubing brace throughout. It will run across the nose and then pieces from the frame rails and wheel wells. I'm using this to mount the intercooler and radiator too. I hope that it all fits. I think that it will I cut out a lot of metal.

Chris

I have a 318i intake, water neck, fuel rail, and fuel pressure regulator that I bought from a FAQ'er last year.

I have a 325is throttle body that I bought from a junk yard via Ebay. I have a junkyard set of 19#/hr injectors from a 4.6L Mustang that will have to go if I go with a turbo. I'm using a Nissan TPS with custom mounting plate from Tom at 02Again. Also bought a fuel pump blanking plate, a distributor plug, and IAC valve mounting plate from him. I bought a Jeep IAC valve from Rock Auto, as well as my fuel pumps. All of this is not installed yet. I have to put my head back together first - just got it back from the machine shop with new valve guides, a valve job, and skimmed. I am also installing an electric fan in place of the mechanical one. Since I am adding all of these electrical loads, I replaced my alternator with a 100 Amp Delco CS-130 internally regualated one wire alternator. I have also built a custom gauge panel for my center console so I have a place to mount my AFR gauge and a vacuum/boost gauge. I had the Megajolt box mounted to the firewall inside the glove box, but I am mounting the Megasquirt box in the center console.

The part I have left to figure out (besides the tuning) is the throttle linkage/cable and whether or not I can keep the battery where it is and still fit an airfilter and intake tube to my throttle body.

The EDIS stuff I mostly bought from Ebay sellers. I bought the trigger wheel, VR sensor, and EDIS box from Ebay. I bought a new coilpack from NAPA as well as new plug wires. I bought a pulley from someone on the FAQ that they had already machined down to accept the Ford trigger wheel. The VR sensor bracket I bought from Tom at 02 Again.