14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Seats for Front of the Bmw

Fox

OK put on your Nomex, I'm sure the flame throwers will be here shortly.

The short answer is YES you can put a bench seat in the front of a 2002. How much money are you willing to spend to do it?

Starting with the relocation of the parking brake handle, the replacing of the console with the early short style and having a notch in the seat to clear the shift lever. Then building the seat frame and what ever upholstery you want done. It will make getting into the back seat a lot of fun too.

It's your car and you can do anything you want with it, far be it from me to tell you should not do it. I'm sure you would be unique and most likely have the only one in the world, EVER!

I smell a troll. But as I'm Billy Goat Gruff, I don't fear trolls. So here's another useful response for you.

The 2002 is a driver's car. It was designed to be nimble and quick rather than luxurious and comfortable. I doubt you'll achieve as smooth a ride as, say, a late 60's Dodge Dart, which at least had some serious heft to it to smooth out the ride. I suspect if you put a bench seat in the car, you're gonna be in for a sloppy, slippery ride even before you get your pants off. Seems to defeat the purpose of the 2002.

But, if a bench seat is your preference, go for it, and please post photos and a description of the ride characteristics.

heres my tip for you coming from a muscle car/hot rod community guy. noithing is impossible. get creative. look around at other cars and find a seat that has some good dimensions to it. getthe dremel and get good access to a welder or pay someone. the 2002 is a narrow little thing. so your gona be chopping a fair bit. my guess is look at early cars as they are simpler in design and dont let the "original only" crowd scare ya. do you own thing

1. You're gonna have to relocate the emergency brake and its cables, probably to a place under the driver's seat. Not a trivial operation; will involve some cutting and welding.

2. When you start to engineer the front bench seat, be sure and start with one from a two door car; otherwise it'll be impossible to get into the back seat. My suggestion would be to look for a bench seat from an old Japanese pickup truck--Datsun/Toyota/Mazda etc. The regular cab models came with bench seats that (1) tip forward (2) are pretty narrow and (3) many have a notch to clear the shift lever. They also sit on fairly high risers that can be tweaked for height and then bolted to the 2002's floor.

Having said all that, I do agree with other folks: keep the bucket seats. You're not gonna make a six (or even 5) passenger car out of a 2002 regardless.

mike

1. You're gonna have to relocate the emergency brake and its cables, probably to a place under the driver's seat. Not a trivial operation; will involve some cutting and welding.

2. When you start to engineer the front bench seat, be sure and start with one from a two door car; otherwise it'll be impossible to get into the back seat. My suggestion would be to look for a bench seat from an old Japanese pickup truck--Datsun/Toyota/Mazda etc. The regular cab models came with bench seats that (1) tip forward (2) are pretty narrow and (3) many have a notch to clear the shift lever. They also sit on fairly high risers that can be tweaked for height and then bolted to the 2002's floor.

Having said all that, I do agree with other folks: keep the bucket seats. You're not gonna make a six (or even 5) passenger car out of a 2002 regardless.

mike

Here's a bit more:

Yes, do what you want with your car. You may want to try to make whatever you do fairly easy to undo in case you're faced with selling someday.

Ask Esty. Seems to me that she'd like this one.

I second the mini-pickup seat idea. Early Ford Ranger seats do have a notch for the shifter and they do tip forward to gain rear area access and they are fairly comfortable.

Early '60s Falcon and Comet seats have very soft seat springs with several inches of "travel" so the driver sort of drops into the upholstery. It holds you in pretty well. I had to sell mine because I kept seeing that non-collapsing steering wheel aiming right at my chest - definitely a bad place to be in an accident.

By the way, a '63 6-cylinder Comet weighs 2,400 lbs and rides very well. It doesn't handle worth a damn in stock form, however - leans like an aircraft carrier with about 8 turns lock-to-lock (feels like it, anyway). It is fun to drive, sort of - like driving a tractor can be fun to drive.

post-549-13667634687662_thumb.jpg

If I was gonna do it, I'd go all out and make it like an old roller coaster car seat complete with pull down lap bar.

Or, go crazy and fab up a bench seat for the front and mount two bucket seats in the back.

Luckily, I have more sense than available time.

What kind of seats we talking here? Do they have the headrests for em? for the love of God, the owner has no idea where the ones are for the front seats of the bmw. and headrests seem to be hard to find by themselves. Any recommendations for upholstery kits?

What kind of seats we talking here? Do they have the headrests for em? for the love of God, the owner has no idea where the ones are for the front seats of the bmw. and headrests seem to be hard to find by themselves. Any recommendations for upholstery kits?

I've got two sets. One from a 72 and one from a76, both have headrests. the tan76 set wasn't in bad shape and just needed new stuffing but it has been sitting out under my deck for a year. Are you going to UAB? I'm just outside of Birmingham and would be happy to help you look over the prospective purchase. Seats and advice are free; the seats are a deal at that price, not so sure about the advice. hobibill AT gmail DOT com