14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Pertronix Ignitor or Ignitor II?

jrhone

The II version uses active dwell, meaning the "on" time is consistent instead of the on "angle" . This allows full saturation of the coil over a wider range of RPM. The I energizes the coil for the same crank angle like the points do, the spark energy is not optimized through the RPM range. Another plus for the II over the I is that if the key is left on with the coil energized (as if the points are closed) the output will turn off and not overheat the coil - this is a byproduct of the active dwell control.

So, I would always chose a II over a I, but I personally have had 2 pertronix II units fail before I changed over to a Crane 3000 (also active dwell as compared to the 700 which is more like the3 Pertronix I). I would only use the pertronix if I wanted a stock appearance, no external box.

If you want a II, give them a call. I have a friend that needed a setup for a dual points mallory, and they just slapped one together for him. All they have to do is mount the II module on the mount they are using now. I think the modules are the same size and shape. Worth a try if you don't want to go to a system with an additional box.

I run the Crane optical x700 Best thing I have ever purchased for my ignition. I went through 2 Pertronix also, then a HotSpark. Crane has been th ebest overall

I'm curious how your pertronix units and a hot spark unit failed. How many miles/years? They just died during normal use?

both my Pertronix just plain quite. The HotSpark was still working but I went ahead and upgraded to the Crane when I had my dist rebuilt. Runs much much smoother than with the HotSpark

If you want a II, give them a call. I have a friend that needed a setup for a dual points mallory, and they just slapped one together for him. All they have to do is mount the II module on the mount they are using now. I think the modules are the same size and shape. Worth a try if you don't want to go to a system with an additional box.

On that logic, wouldn't it would be cool to adapt the crane XR-i hall effect kit? For it's adjustable rev limiter?

I run the Crane optical x700 Best thing I have ever purchased for my ignition. I went through 2 Pertronix also, then a HotSpark. Crane has been th ebest overall

I'm curious how your pertronix units and a hot spark unit failed. How many miles/years? They just died during normal use?

No more than 10,000 miles when it left us hanging on the roadside. Go with points, or go home.