WOW - bleeding kugelfischer - HELP

cxzsaq

Hi All.

So, i upgraded my fuel pump, via bills help - thank you for that, and re-ran my fuel lines.

when i try to start the car, fuel pours out from the top of the kfish - from the 4 screws (see pic).

Whats happening? I never touched the 4 screws before. I checked, and the fuel is going into the fuel lines (to the intake), and i am also getting fuel back into the tank (via the return line).

Please keep in mind that i had the motor rebuilt, and I "think" i was able to put it back into tdc - so, can it be that i didn't tdc it correctly?

Is my kfish dead?

update: found this post:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443369

seems that i need my o-rings replaced. and thats it. true?

post-17311-13667634659278_thumb.jpg

Brian,

There are rubber O rings in there that dry out especially when the car is not being used. They can be replaced.

Do you have the tii repair manual? If so, I believe it has the procedure to replace those o-rings. I think there is a caution in the manual about not using anything magnetic around those screws.

The weeping should have nothing to do with the motor rebuild, the new electric pump or TDC. Just tired old O rings

Find an Oring supply company. Make sure there not affected by gas. Should cost you 5 cents. You will have to have them size the ring. I believe the BMW ones are near $10 APIECE. I have been using the cheap version for years with no problem... Beware of plumbing O rings....

The O-Rings on the suction valve covers should be made from Buna-N (Nitrile) rubber. An auto parts store or HVAC supplier should have some "Air-Conditioning O-Rings" (likely a green color). I believe measurements are 2mmx9mm, but I could be wrong. Just bring an old one to match the size. According to my notes, the best material choice would be Viton o-rings, much better resistance to aromatic solvents. In a pinch plain rubber o-rings can be used, but as they are not gas-resistant they will leak eventually. Since you are only removing the cap screw and replacing the rings, you do not have to worry about taking out the suction valves themselves. If you did that, note the caution on not using anything magnetic.

From my notes (did not end up ordering)

Available on-line at

http://www.allorings.com/

-012 Buna-N O-Rings (250 per bag) $5.75

(Same price for size -110)

70 Durometer Black

Temp -40 F to 250 F

Shipping $7.01

TOTAL = $12.76

Fred '74tii

The O-Rings on the suction valve covers should be made from Buna-N (Nitrile) rubber. An auto parts store or HVAC supplier should have some "Air-Conditioning O-Rings" (likely a green color). I believe measurements are 2mmx9mm, but I could be wrong. Just bring an old one to match the size. According to my notes, the best material choice would be Viton o-rings, much better resistance to aromatic solvents. In a pinch plain rubber o-rings can be used, but as they are not gas-resistant they will leak eventually. Since you are only removing the cap screw and replacing the rings, you do not have to worry about taking out the suction valves themselves. If you did that, note the caution on not using anything magnetic.

From my notes (did not end up ordering)

Available on-line at

http://www.allorings.com/

-012 Buna-N O-Rings (250 per bag) $5.75

(Same price for size -110)

70 Durometer Black

Temp -40 F to 250 F

Shipping $7.01

TOTAL = $12.76

Fred '74tii

Fred, is this the same thing?:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/379452/approved_vendor_1bul7_neoprene_o-ring?s=1

Your link is for Neoprene (SKU: 379452), though you might want Buna-N (Nitrile) as I mentioned. You will have to verify size, as I never did order any of the -012's.

The pump should not be under pressure and there are no spring-loaded parts to fly out when pulling the plugs. I don't know if there is a torque spec for putting the plugs back in, you will have to use your judgment on getting them "reasonably tight" without over tightening and damaging the O-ring itself. I would check them after running for a bit just to make sure they didn't loosen up. That said, I never had any issues when I replaced mine.

Best,

Fred

Your link is for Neoprene (SKU: 379452), though you might want Buna-N (Nitrile) as I mentioned. You will have to verify size, as I never did order any of the -012's.

The pump should not be under pressure and there are no spring-loaded parts to fly out when pulling the plugs. I don't know if there is a torque spec for putting the plugs back in, you will have to use your judgment on getting them "reasonably tight" without over tightening and damaging the O-ring itself. I would check them after running for a bit just to make sure they didn't loosen up. That said, I never had any issues when I replaced mine.

Best,

Fred

Thanks. I ordered the 012 buna set today. Let's see what happens when they come. ; )

is there anything i need to watch out for when replacing the o rings? how tight they need to be? any springs flying out from the k-fish?

They go on snug. The plugs bottom out perfectly so they hold the suction valves tightly in place. Wouldn't be surprised if you have a sticky valve or two if it's been sitting. Would be worth adding oil to top & bottom ends of the kfish and maybe hand crank it before to ask too much of it. And make sure your oil supply/return lines are in place and not plugged or cracked.

At least the exhaust manifold probably didn't suffer too much from the inactivity.

is there anything i need to watch out for when replacing the o rings? how tight they need to be? any springs flying out from the k-fish?

They go on snug. The plugs bottom out perfectly so they hold the suction valves tightly in place. Wouldn't be surprised if you have a sticky valve or two if it's been sitting. Would be worth adding oil to top & bottom ends of the kfish and maybe hand crank it before to ask too much of it. And make sure your oil supply/return lines are in place and not plugged or cracked.

At least the exhaust manifold probably didn't suffer too much from the inactivity.

Noted on the set-up instructions. Thank you.

What should I look out for in the exhaust manifold? Did I miss something?

• 2 weeks later...