world upholstery cover

MikeWooldridge

So, I'm about to order seat covers for the '71, but only need a drivers side. After looking closely at them, both right and left bottoms look very similar in shape. EDIT: Just bought drivers cover from fellow FAQer. "Bob's your uncle" :) (side joke)

Just wondering if anyone needs a passenger side, which might even fit the drivers?

I could order it any color you want, since I''m spraying mine with SEM to match the other seats.

Also am wondering if the pad is really worth the money. I do like the shape it gives to your seats, but surely that could be replicated.

Thoughts?

mike...if you'd plan'd to buy the dye from world, it might pay to shop...you can usually find sem locally, at auto paint stores for about 1/2 of world's cost...i buy from www.vinylpro.com ...they are in the atlanta area and ship super fast

You're right...I buy it locally from a Bumper to Bumper.

By the way, is there a big difference between the right and left seat bottoms?

you'll find that the heat-formed pleat (running from front to back on the seat bottom, or top to bottom on the seat back), comprised of small squares or rectangles, is a slightly different shape than the original covers. Not too different, but enough to BE different.

Apparently (according to World) I was the only person to notice this when I ordered my seat bottom ~15 years ago. I then ended up needing to order the seat back to have them match, but the color (Marine blue) was a great match to the original.

the seat bottoms are different on each side up until 75. 75 and 76 seats are sufficiently symmetrical that they could be interchanged. i find that seats which were replaced with generic foam pads appear too puffy and lose the contour shape of the originals.

i read on this forum years ago that someone was able to modify VW Bug seat pads to work at a fraction of the cost of original BMW pads. that's an option i might try when the time comes.