14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Was in Wrong Catagory, Rock Guard Removal

justinevert

Guest Anonymous

Been wondering about this for a long time. After you remove the gravel guard, is it possible to repaint with the same OEM style texture? How

to do that? If I may.

Yes, it is possible. The original coasting was more tar based, but now the formula is more flexible--both 3M Rubberized Body Schutz and Wurth Stone Guard come in bulk containers and require a special applicator guns (which allow different surface textures). Stone Guard can be used underneath the color coat or on top of it (using the clear variety)--don't know about body schutz. I used Stone Guard on my inner fender wells and it matched the original texture perfectly. 3M also makes a rubberized undercoating in a spray can, but the texture is much finer than what you see in the trunk. For application along the lower front lip, rocker panels and lower rear quarter panels it has enough texture though IMO. The coating is primarily for protection from rock chips, etc.