14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Rim fit question

dlmrun2002

The rim size BBS RS 15x7 et 20. Is this size workable or pushing it to far?

Thanks

Doug M ny country

The offset is wrong, unless you have extended (pushed out) fenders. 7" wheels are a bit difficult to fit on an 02 without modified fenders (rolled, at least...). You need something more in the high 20s.

As you can see, different people have different ideas of what fits. With 195s, you may very well have no issues, or need a slight roll of the fenders. The "ideal" offset seems to be 27mm. 7mm isnt really that big a difference. Depending on how low you are, how stiff your suspension is, how sticky your tires are, and how bad your roads are, you may have a little rubbing, you may not, and you may not care if you do.

I vote you throw em on the car and see for yourself. in the rear, you can remove the spring and put the suspension through its full cycle to see how close you'll be.

HTH

Well, jireland oughta know. All I can say is that I have had two different sets of 15x7 wheels on my 02 with 195/50 tires, both sets were ET 30, and both just about fit perfectly in the front. The tires couldn't have been much closer to the tie rod ends and fender lips. My car is lowered a bit (H&R springs). I suppose one 02 and two sets of wheels is not really a statistically relevant sample.

I had BBS RS 15x7 et25 wit a 5mm spacer to clear the coilovers on the front. Very low with no fit issues so these should be fine. Brakes, suspension, etc makes a difference as well as tire brand. If you have to, go down to 45 series tires. Depending on what you had on before, steering effort will be noticeably increased too.

15x7 et20 ATS Cups with 205/50-15's were on Dad's Tii for the better part of the '80s and '90s. The key to them fitting was that the car is not lowered and the fender lips were rolled tight. I have also seen et20's on a lowered car but with 195's, and that was a tight fit!

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/tjones02_bucket/Tii%20The%200007/?action=view&current=CCI00031-1.jpg

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/tjones02_bucket/Tii%20The%200007/?action=view&current=CCI00030-1.jpg

Ideal offset for 15x7's on an '02 is et25... these will clear with 205's and rolled lips on a lowered car.