Radio whistles

davidmcw

Just finished up installing XM Radio in my '02. I can hear a high pitched whistle thru the speakers. Does anyone know how to get the whistle out?

Need more info. Is it going through an FM radio channel or directly connected? Is the noise constant or does it change with engine speed?

Thats really nice. And makes sense for the way I use my car. 80% of the miles on it are going to out of state events. Id love to be able to get rush limbaugh in all 57 states

Oh, Steve, say it ain't so!

I had XM for a year or so and it was awesome. I might get it in the 1600 when I'm done redoing the HVAC stuff and get around to the console.

Need more info. Is it going through an FM radio channel or directly connected? Is the noise constant or does it change with engine speed?

Audio is hard wired thru radio's AUX. Power comes from cig socket. Pitch of whistle varies with engine speed.

Thats really nice. And makes sense for the way I use my car. 80% of the miles on it are going to out of state events. Id love to be able to get rush limbaugh in all 57 states.

Yeh Steve! Too bad there's not an EIB channel!

The some of the new car receivers don't have CD players just

Mp3, Usb, SD card, etc. connections.

Audio is hard wired thru radio's AUX. Power comes from cig socket. Pitch of whistle varies with engine speed.

If the noise varies with engine speed and is a "whistle," it is likely from the alternator. You should check to see whether you have a noise capacitor on the alt (basically, connects between power and ground- typically, small round silver canister).

This also may be being caused by a "ground loop," which results from having multiple grounds at different locations on the chassis for multiple components in the sound system. If you have that, try grounding every component at the same spot (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_%28electricity%29) for more info.

Also, this can be caused by improper adjustments on components. Do you have an external amp in the system?

Did your radio have the whine/whistle before you added the XM tuner? Did you add both at the same time?

Ideally, your main/constant 12V+ goes straight to the battery post, your trigger + can connect to anything that works (on when key is on), and your power ground wire should be as short as possible, connecting to chassis metal/ground. Different devices shouldn't share a ground wire, they should each have their own run of wire to chassis metal/ground.