14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure how important it is for you to have original specs for everything, but you have a few options. If you can't find a 1.8L M10, you can use any M10. They all share the same dimensions.

If you are set on having 1.8L exactly, you can use a 2002 2L M10 block and pistons with a 1600 crankshaft or, for a stroker setup, you can use a 1600 block and pistons with a 2002 crankshaft. Both combinations yield 1.8L like the original.

Because I'm not that much of a purist, I'd go with either a 2002 2L engine or an E30 M10 318i (1984-85) longblock. If you go with the latter, you'll have the choice of keeping the EFI setup or you could just bolt up a carb'd manifold and look a little more period-correct.

If you need the 1600 parts, I know a guy.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Clayw, I would appreciate if I can find an 18 or 18 ti engine. Surely I will consider your suggestions at a later stage.

Regards,

Lawrence.

Hi If I use a 1600 block with a 2002 crankshaft it will not get the same BHP Of the original 1800ti, am I correct?

ti cars had about 110 BHP and ti/SA cars had 130 BHP. That would be pretty easy to achieve with the combination, especially if you had the dual sidedraughts (original Solex or Webers).

Of course, you could just stick with the 2L block for the most cost effective way to replace the motor. Use the sidedraughts and no one will realize (or care) that you have an extra 200cc's.

• 1 month later...