14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Penelope - The 1971 Project

thaddeussmith

I'll get current pics up soon. I flew out last week to drive this girl from California to Texas, but alas, she was not as road worthy as led to believe. A hefty U-Haul bill later and she is on native soil.

I should be able to get her through inspection and registration after these items:

Parts have been ordered to replace coolant system, sans radiator (water pump and/or gasket were shot).

Parts have been ordered to replace all of the hard brake lines (one of them was busted right above the transmission, no pedal pressure, fluid everywhere).

Hazard switch has been ordered (didn't have one, hence turn indicators come on, but don't blink)

What I've done so far:

Door panels were shot, so i've pulled them and will use as a template for super custom black plywood panels. Rear panels to follow suit.

Front bumper removed.

Rear seat removed and will be replaced with super custom carpeted plywood.

Parcel shelf partially removed, still have to dig out the speakers so I can build a new shelf and install fresh speakers.

Vacuumed, cleaned up the dash, untangled an audio wire mess, cleaned out trunk.

Core issues:

Pedal box and driver's frame rail have rot (i asked specifically about this, but was told they were all fine - sigh)

Rear wheel wells need some rust patching.

Rear end needs to be banged out a bit.

New seals everywhere.

Needs a fresh coat of primer black.

This car is not a restoration project. This car is about being A) safe, B) fast and fun to drive.

More to come..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

replaced the water pump today and she's running more smoothly. The old one was grinding and wobbly - no good. I still have heavy white smoke coming out of the tailpipe, so i suspect gasket or warped head or both. I'll tear into it after christmas to determine for sure.

In the meantime, I have plenty of other projects to knock out that don't require a running engine. Here's a few pics:

Burping her after a fresh pump and new hoses.

project-1.jpg

Front end needs some work.

project-2.jpg

So does the rear.

project-3.jpg

project-4.jpg

project-5.jpg

project-6.jpg

Any idea what car these recaros came from?

project-8.jpg

project-11.jpg

project-12.jpg

Rear seat deleted - Will cover up shortly

project-9.jpg

Dash is in great shape, with one semi-repaired crack.

project-10.jpg

and a nice bright cluster

project-7.jpg

More coming soon!