Headliner

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

to windshield gaskets, cuz there is no good way to save them , so since the glass is out, maybe a paint job, ,,,, then , and some,,,. There might be a way to do it without removing glass, but the headliner does tuck under the seal ft and back

Guest Anonymous

Just did my 75 sunroof with headliner from 2002 AD. Cost about $200. after purchase noted Bimmer Parts list it for about 1/2 that. Do not know the difference but the 2002 AD one came in a BMW bag vice aftermarket.

Installation is not hard but very time consuming like a full weekend of hard labor.

Only problem I have had is the home depot varity contact cement went soft when spring came to the south. Local auto upolstry shop sold me some industrial grade that seems to be holding well.

Good luck

Guest Anonymous

for one, wonder what the difference is between the 2002 AD version and the Bimmer Parts one for $90...

also, any place where the whole procedure might be written up for a handicapped handiman like myself?

thanks again

Guest Anonymous

how many folks make that type of vinyl, anyway, here is a short course, slip the old rods (hoops?) through the headliner loops and pop the whole thing into place and let it hang there.

I had trouble with the back portion, you'll need to carefully remove the snapped into place rear thing (?) jeez don't know what to call this stuff, but its press board and helps with the ventilation ( I have a 74 it might be different on other years, ) . There are spring clips that hold it in, and I broke a couple, go slow, used pin nose pliers. I used Wurth Rubber Cement, find their web page, find a dealer or order some, it is helpful since it allows to - re postion the headliner material as you progress with installing it,

If you can get comfortable with the installation around the back window and sides, you are home free. Work your way forward using the rubber cement, sort of a pull, tuck and glue operation. I suppose some paper binder clips would help hold things and align things, but there is leeway with the glue, slow to set up, and the headliner. The glue really doesn't bond THAT strong so you can always peel it off and re position,

There are small little spring clips to secure it around the windshield openings ft and bk, and these are available, (Max or ?) perhaps you saw them, or will, when you remove the windshields, and gaskets. I used a few more than the factory, don't think it makes a difference,

Once all the wrinkles are out and it looks nice, you are done.

Good luck, have fun,