14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Great...snapped the heater control cable...now what???

jrhone

You have your work cut out for you, but you might want to wait until spring to pull the heater box and install a new cable, because you're probably gonna want to rebuild the heater box once you get it out, and that might take some time, meaning you might have a car without a heater box for a while. Alternatively, you could buy another heater box, rebuild it, and have it ready for a quick swap over a weekend.

Best of luck.

I don't know why one would have to pull the heater box as long as they got access to control levers underneath the dash. The inner cable is routed thru the outer sheathing, so all you would need to do is pull the old one out (from the interior of the car) and push a new one in. I think the cable attaches to the lever with two small bends (I can't remember for sure)--good luck.

A lot of us lazy types will just get out of the car, open the hood, and turn the heater valve to hot or cold.

Is this the original cable that was in there? Probably was, since the bolt was rusted.

A couple of options since the little bolt is NLA:

Check out a hobby shop for RC car/plane control wires & fixxin's

Check out a LBS (Local bicycle shop) for brake/derailleur cable bolts

Manufacture your own bolt. Takes some trial and error as the bolt and washer needs to secure the wire, but still rotate within the control arm. The trick is finding the right size of the shoulder on the bolt to meet both needs.

Read the FAQ on rebuilding the heater box.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/73/32/

Find a good doner heater box and rebuild it using good proper parts (new cables, pressure checked or rebuilt core, and a good non-leaking valve, new BMW hoses, rubber seals and clamps)

Not sure if they have more, but I bought a couple of the little bolts (Heater Valve Cable Bolt at Valve) from Jaymic in the U.K. recently.

http://www.jaymic.com/shop/parts_02_products.asp?grp=02CO&page=5

Take your time on the rebuild. Do it right you'll be glad you did. Then install in your car on a weekend when you have time.

A lot of us lazy types will just get out of the car, open the hood, and turn the heater valve to hot or cold.

Yup, even though I've got a new cable floating around the garage I haven't installed it for, well 10 or more years.

If you want to fix yours.... see my post on this similar thread from this morning...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,350845/highlight,/

Oh, and you'll need a tiny 7mm wrench to back the socket up otherwise the cable will twist anyway, rusted or not.

HTH

Thx guys...I actually HAVE a spare box...WITH cables...I'll look this weekend and see what condition the cables are in. I bought the box last year for a rebuild...pulled it apart...had the core checked for leaks and flow...then never got back to it. It is complete with cables. Just need a refurb...fan works.