14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Limited Slip Questions

zman

So the 4 speed took a dump. I'm putting in a 5 speed, and now I'm thinking a LSD may be in order. There is a E30 LSD from a 325i that's a decent price semi-locally. I still haven't gotten a full grasp on the interchange between models. Am I correct in thinking I can use this LSD with the spacers and redrilling? Or can I put it in the spare diff that I have? I really haven't been able to find the answers with the search function. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks

You cannot install an E30 differential in a 2002 - it's larger, mounts differently (will not fit on the rear sub frame), etc. It's the E21 differential which will bolt into the 2002 with spacers and re-drilled output shafts (or by swapping CV joints on one end). -KB

This answers half of it. But not the other half.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/p,767727/highlight,/sid,0deb905cc7038ddb017e7ad406639712/

that thread still leads me to believe that there may be something that can be done. Even if I have to clearence the '02 case. But it's not clear.

c.d.iesel your cut and paste is worthless, I saw it in the other post as well. Maybe explain what you're trying to point out with the cut and paste otherwise refrain from the cut and paste and answer the question.

Well - actually - I believe I did answer the question posed in the original post on this thread (read it again...). The other post you referenced is a different question / issue that speaks to the internals of the various diffs. -KB

Well - actually - I believe I did answer the question posed in the original post on this thread (read it again...). The other post you referenced is a different question / issue that speaks to the internals of the various diffs. -KB

If you read it again, I asked if I could use the LSD or put it in the spare diff I have. So no you didn't answer the whole thing. The referenced thread was about putting the internals inside the '02 diff, that's the second part of the question. But thanks for playing.

Thanks to Pancake for answer. The thread I referenced wasn't exactly clear on wether you could or couldn't. So if I get the smaller diff the internals can be used.