SOLD: H-beam 144mm Connecting Rods for S14/M10

For sale is a set of Ireland Engineering's 144mm H-beam forged connecting rods for the S14, or for a performance/race 'long rod' M10 engine build (custom pistons with higher pin height required for the M10). Includes 7/16" ARP-2000 bolts.

I used these for a season in my race motor without a hitch (I'm changing piston design and don't need these for the new build). Big end bearings came out looking great, though having your machine shop check / size them is always a good idea. These use standard BMW wrist pins and S14 bearings.

- - -

Sold - 12/2/2010

note - there's a sale pending on these, Chris - but I'll add some info...

In a 'long rod' motor (ie: using 144mm rods on an M10 crank rather than the stock 135mm length), the piston spends more time at/around the top of the combustion chamber which, in turn, generates more 'umph' on the power stroke (how's that for a deliberate avoidance of physics and math?) And with a higher pin height, the piston is typically lighter.

There's no performance advantage / disadvantage to S14 vs M10 rod bearings; they have the same dimensions, the only physical difference is in the bearing tangs (at least that's what I've observed thus far).

So... to use these rods in an M10 build, you'd use a regular M10 crankshaft, have custom pistons made and put S14 bearing shells in the rods. Of course, these rods are also correct for an S14 engine project. -KB

Hi mate,

I'm really interested in the rods, just wanted to know if shipping them to Montevideo, Uruguay was possible (I have no problem on paying for shipping).

Are the rods in really good condition? If I exchanged the bearings for new ones the whole set should end up pretty much as good as new, shouldn't it? (just to have an idea on the overall condition of the set)

Just let me know mate.

Thanks in advance.

Take care,

Bruce

I was contacted by another FAQ member (Russ) earlier today who wants them - sale is pending, I will post/contact you should that deal fall through (and yes, I'd ship to Uruguay - you and I have done business before, in fact).

The rods are in great shape; heck, the coated bearings which came out probably could have been used (but I wouldn't be so tempted). -KB