14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Wheel Offset

ibjettin

I know it's been discussed many times here, but sadly I tried to search and came up with results that had nothing to do with my query....

Please, if someone has the info, time and could post the info in the FAQ section I (and many others) would appreciate it!

We lose a lot of useful info - Why are these topics not moved or placed in the FAQ anyhow?

Seriously?

I suspect your challenge is using the FAQ's Search function. I simply put in these three words:

wheel offset measure

clicked the Search for all terms button, and clicked on Search.

Fourth thread down:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,334826/highlight,wheel+offset+measure/

Seriously?

I suspect your challenge is using the FAQ's Search function. I simply put in these three words:

wheel offset measure

Fourth thread down:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,334826/highlight,wheel+offset+measure/

For some strange reason, I have much better luck if I enter "wheel AND offset AND measure"

I tend to google common terms--and wheel offset is pretty common--then use the FAQ to get down to the nitty gritty, such as the relevant offset range for given tire widths, suspension height, etc. I use AND in comparative searches if I don't get what I'm looking for without the AND. I find the hardest thing to manage is finding the info when the key words are misspelled by the posters, or the topic has numerous synonyms. Other than that, Search seems to work pretty well for me. Perhaps it's because I give it regular love and attention.

Seriously?

wheel offset measure

Fourth thread down:

"Seriously?" You need to post your reply being condescending? I don't think it was a stupid request. That being said, I appreciate you taking the time to explain how a search feature works.

Regardless, I still think this needs to be in the FAQ section if someone knows it well enough to write it up.

ib,

My use of "seriously" was not intended to be condescending, but rather incredulity that you couldn't find a useful thread on wheel offset. There's tons of info on wheel offset on here, as it's a very common question on the FAQ. The FAQ returns 18 pages of results for wheel offset measure using the 'Search all words' option. Google returns 8,310,000 results for wheel AND offset, so it's a VERY common question, and not just here on the FAQ.

The FAQ's Forum Search is like a carburetor: though it seems to serve a very simple purpose, making it work the way you want involves some experience, patience, and the occasional heavy dose of ether. In the case of a carburetor, its simple function is to mix air and gas. Air is abundant, so it's really just controlling the flow of gas. Seems like something that could be done with one knob: turn the knob one way, get more gas; turn it the other, get less gas. Google works kind of like that. One knob to rule them all.

But a carburetor has all sorts of crazy knobs and screws and funky parts that can be changed out. The FAQ's Forum Search is the same way. There are 5 dropdown fields, 9 radio buttons, and 2 open text fields. It's the dual DCOE's of search. But like a set of DCOE's, once you get the hang of playing with the knobs, you get good results. I enjoy playing with knobs, so I find the FAQ Forum Search pretty useful and simple to work with.

ib,

My use of "seriously" was not intended to be condescending, but rather incredulity that you couldn't find a useful thread on wheel offset. There's tons of info on wheel offset on here, as it's a very common question on the FAQ. The FAQ returns 18 pages of results for wheel offset measure using the 'Search all words' option. Google returns 8,310,000 results for wheel AND offset, so it's a VERY common question, and not just here on the FAQ.

The FAQ's Forum Search is like a carburetor: though it seems to serve a very simple purpose, making it work the way you want involves some experience, patience, and the occasional heavy dose of ether. In the case of a carburetor, its simple function is to mix air and gas. Air is abundant, so it's really just controlling the flow of gas. Seems like something that could be done with one knob: turn the knob one way, get more gas; turn it the other, get less gas. Google works kind of like that. One knob to rule them all.

But a carburetor has all sorts of crazy knobs and screws and funky parts that can be changed out. The FAQ's Forum Search is the same way. There are 5 dropdown fields, 9 radio buttons, and 2 open text fields. It's the dual DCOE's of search. But like a set of DCOE's, once you get the hang of playing with the knobs, you get good results. I enjoy playing with knobs, so I find the FAQ Forum Search pretty useful and simple to work with.

Great analogy. There is one difference between DCOE's and Google: DCOE's create questions, Google gives answers.

So, what is your original query?? What would you like to know about correct offsets for '02s?

I can answer specific questions about what fits under stock fenders but writing an FAQ article goes beyond what I have for time in recent months.

Largest generally accepted tire and wheel size that fits stock fenders that have been rolled or trimmed is 15x7 et25 with 205/50-15

Largest tires I have seen under "stock" fenders is CJ's rear 16x8 et28 Alpinas with 215/40-16s.

Google Advanced Search has the "Search for all terms" button already clicked. But many times the results do not include ALL the terms where the FAQ search does when you click the button. I hate it when Google Image Search doesn't include ALL terms!!

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

The thing to keep in mind is that the offset that will work on a 2002 without a modified body is not the same # for all widths of wheels. It would be really helpful for everyone to provide the backspace measurement along with the offset when listing wheels for sale.

Generally speaking, for a wheel of 5" to 6" in width, an offset of 29mm to 35 mm will work on a stock-bodied 2002.

From my experience/my opinion: An ideal 6" wide alloy wheel for a stock 2002 will have a backspace of 4-7/8". In this case, the offset is 35mm (overall width of an alloy wheel will be a little over 7"). A wheel like this on the front of a 2002 is going to be really close to the strut housing and tie rod connecting point and may require a very small spacer - like 6mm if it's a 13" dia. wheel, but this backspace will allow adequate clearance within the rear quarter panel.

Iknow people squeeze wide wheels on their 2002s, so your experience may be different from mine.

Thank you for all your replies. I thought before I had a clear understanding of offset but I know it will vary depending on wheels spec. Tom, pretty much what you replied is what i was looking for. A max number for what would fit.

I was looking into a 16x7 wheel with a 35 offset. I decided to stay safe and go with a 15x7 with a 20 offset.