Interesting Engine In My Neu 1800 (nt)

MikeinNC

Okay, another one of those PO stories

This afternoon I decided to pull the head off my Neu 1800 (it has a 121 as opposed to the original 116 which I also got in one of the boxes) since it was reported that it had a blown head gasket So after removing the intake manifold I notice that there was what looked like a 1/4 inch aluminum plate between the head and the block!

Photobucket

Hmmmmm Whats up with that????? So I proceed to remove the head and sure enough there is a plate, nicely made including copper or brass rings at the cylinders then recessed slots for neoprene rope seals at the water and oil passages, both sides (that is top and bottom)

Photobucket

Photobucket

After removing the plate I wondered about the piston coming up into that area and sure enough the top 1/4 inch of the piston comes up above the block deck!!!!!

Photobucket

Okay engine guys Whats up with this? Ever see anything like this? I never have in all my years of building M10s Supposedly it has a 320 crank in it Could that be the reason for the pistons sticking up?

So I decided that I aint gonna mess with this motor and decide to pull the rest of it out of the car Sure enough it has an aluminum flywheel and what looks like a new clutch and pressure plate.

Photobucket

Other interesting thing about this car is that it has a Delco Remy alternator with internal regulator that is mounted on a very nicely machined aluminum bracket Also has a Tii distributor.

The car had a two barrel manifold on it but in one of the boxes of stuff that came with it was the original single solex manifold and mounted to it was a very nicely made aluminum adapter that mated a weber 32/36!!! And also in there was an adapter to mate the Weber to the stock air cleaner system!!

Since I need to build an engine now, I have to decide if it is going to be another 4 cylinder (which I love) or go ahead and do an M20 swap. (which I also like) That engine bay seems to be plenty big enough!!

Photobucket

Okay

Finished tearing down the engine tonight. Found that it had the 8 bolt flywheel with 80 mm stroke as was thought to be in it. And it has an aluminum flywheel with steel pressure surface!

Photobucket

After removing the flywheel, found an interesting rear seal housing made out of aluminum! Man the PO was a master machinist for sure!

Photobucket

Now to solve the mystery of pistons sticking out the top necessitating the need for that aluminum plate. Pulled the pistons and they have a pin to piston surface (not including dome) of 46 mm which I guess means the builder used 1600 pistons for the rebuild. Parts book seems to show that the same con rods are used for both 1600 and 1800. The pistons are stamped 84.97 mm as well so probably were the max available, at least I have never hear of great than a 1 mm overbore piston

Have decided to build a 2 liter motor for the car using a 74 Tii motor I have siting around (I can hear the Tii guys screaming now :)

Well Mike since you are now officially a tii expert, why don't you make the US' first NK tii (or the World's first) since you already have the engine?

Jan. '70 NK 2000Tii was the first "production" Tii..... They made roughly 1950 of them....

http://www.bmw-02-club.de/cms/index.php/en/home/die-wagen/-bmw-1500-2000-tii/modellpflege

Haha Good eyes Luis That was my Dad's Mini He loved that car. I have fond memories of him chasing me in Eileen's Mini thru the bad roads. I have it now and it sits in the garage beside Eileen's 04 Cooper S.

To keep this BMW related: Took it out with Gary's green Mini and 02 Groupies Humberto in the Tii and Michael in his Mustang SVO the Sunday before Thanksgiving While there we checked out Michaels new Focus race car

The little car is a hoot to drive.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket