14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

How do these plugs look?

FunElan

.........too lean and hot to me.

Plgheat1_small.jpg27.jpg

A white colored plug is caused by engine overheating. Failure to repair this engine will result in severe engine damage. Common causes for this are:

Incorrect spark plug (too hot heat range).

Low octane fuel.

Timing is not set properly.

Cooling problems, (dirty cylinder fins, no or low water if water cooled, low or no engine oil).

Carburetor air/fuel mixture is too lean (too much air).

Leaking crankshaft seals, no oil, base or head gasket leaks, or crankcase leaks on two stroke engines.

you want a little brownish

like this to be healthtyPlgnorm1_small.jpg14.jpg

Those plugs are shot. I would suggest starting with new plugs to get a good reading. If your timing has not been set in a while, get on that. Seems lean and hot, which to me seem likes you need to check your jetting/carb settings, and maybe peel that timing back a bit. Does she run ok?

I was under the impression that our cars do not like Iridium or platinum plugs. They like the copper or the silver. Something to do with ignition voltage requirement incompatibilities. They work but not as well.

I remember having trouble with my 86 325e. I replaced the platinums with silvers and my problems were solved. Problems included hard starting, intermittent misses, low on power and higher fuel consumption.

Have the rules changed?

I was under the impression that our cars do not like Iridium or platinum plugs. They like the copper or the silver. Something to do with ignition voltage requirement incompatibilities. They work but not as well.

I remember having trouble with my 86 325e. I replaced the platinums with silvers and my problems were solved. Problems included hard starting, intermittent misses, low on power and higher fuel consumption.

Have the rules changed?

Nope...I think you are right on...the platinums will last longer, but cost more...I paid about $6 for a set of BP5ES plugs from Mesa Performance...so changing them more often is not an issue.

Yeah, the iridium were 6 each, haha, huge rip! So then what are the absolute best plugs for these cars?? And plug gap with a pertronix?

NGK BP6ES or BP5ES... NGK heat ranges are backwards from Bosch, so 5's are hotter than 6's. In yours, reading your plugs I'd use 6's. With basic points replacement electronic ignition like Pertronix I'd still run a .28" gap, same as stock.

BTW those Iridium plugs are junk, as are the Platinum plugs the chain stores sell for our cars..... Shouldn't have to pay over $2.50 for good spark plugs....

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=xitm124502ufy4bmy2mtwe55&partnumber=bp6es

+1 on the exotic metal plugs. Mostly Marketing Hype.

Some (Iridium) may have lower electrical resistance, but when your shoving 30k-50k volts through them, it's a case of more not being any better than enough.

Platinum plugs will last longer due to Platinum's much higher melting point and ability to conduct heat, but there's a false economy at play here.

Swapping plugs is maybe the cheapest maintenance you can do to the car. But, they give you a look at conditions quite literally where it is all happening.

Waiting 25k mi. to check your engine's general health isn't the best policy, especially with a carb'd, 30+ y.o. car.

Use standard plugs and change them annually. Your car will thank you!

Cheers!