• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still tracking down a vibration/growl...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Replaced my tranny mount Saturday with a 320i mount, so it's good and solid (last one was on the verge of just falling apart). But the vibration between an indicated 60 and 70 is still there, along with a growl that's speed but not rpm-related. The growl begins around 25 mph and will go away if weight shifts to the car's left side (right-hand turn). A left-hand turn has no effect; if anything, it makes it worse. I replaced the right-front wheel bearing last fall, and I think I did it properly (there's no play in the wheel's vertical axis). The guibo looked OK on Saturday, and the center bearing isn't squeaking as I understand they usually do when they go (but it's rather rusty). Both of the rear wheels are bent, and the two fronts aren't perfect; I have new wheels waiting in the wings. The car's lined up properly.

Any ideas? Should I get a real mechanic to swap the wheel bearing again? Could it be the bent rims? Thanks!

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

dave-

how are you tires? i know on the e30 that you get some pretty good vibration from having worn tires...

-dave

Guest Anonymous

I have about 10k on Pirelli P400s, but the car was out of alignment for a while, so they got rather feathered edges. I haven't swapped 'em front-to-back due to the bent rims, but I have wondered if it isn't the tires. I'm getting Sumitomo 14-inchers soon, so I'm curious if the new treads fix it.

By the way, how did the trip go, Dave?

-Dave

Guest Anonymous

The growl/rumble noise makes me think wheel bearings, while the vibration makes me think tires. I know the BMWs I've owned (both '02s and the 325is) have been very very sensitive to wheel balance and roundness.

Sometimes the problem is related to the last thing you did...I wouldn't necessarily discount the bearing because it's new. Could be faulty parts or incorrectly installed...

Good luck!

Tim

'76 2002 with a vibration @ 45mph...hopefully solved by balancing

'03 Golf

Guest Anonymous

I had a similar problem on my '76 years ago. It was rear wheel bearings. Also check the driveshaft for balance. It sounds like you may have two problems, not one.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

the trip was something else...

Dave Crawford is REALLY a good guy...long of the short is that i'm meeting up w/dave on sat. in lexington (i think) to pick up the car...

little bump in the road, but nothing to really worry about..=)

-dave

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

the trip was something else...

Dave Crawford is REALLY a good guy...long of the short is that i'm meeting up w/dave on sat. in lexington (i think) to pick up the car...

little bump in the road, but nothing to really worry about..=)

-dave

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

Dallas is what was really something else. i really couldn't get over how their transportation is over there...you never really cross into traffic w/oncoming traffic like up north here...it's a really different system/setup, in some cases you drive past where you need to go and then make a u turn...that took me some time to get use to...other than that, i really had a blast. The food (tex/mex) was just amazing. i had one of the best margarita's i've ever had in my life, and this was in a dry town (which you have to become 'a member' of to drink).

dave and his wife are two of the nicest, most hospitable people i'll probally be fortunate enough to meet. Just really amazingly nice people.

nothing too big to report. the timing chain broke, and we couldn't get it done and get us on the road in time to get to work for monday morning. dave was cool enough to keep it there, change the timing chain, and drive it up to kentucky (actually he really offered to drive it up pittsburgh, which was really too kind of him...and besides, he can't have ALL the fun...=)

dave is really a stand up guy. i honestly can't say enough good stuff about dave and the transaction.

the car is really sweet and i can't wait to have her home...=)

looks like we're going to drive out, and back all in the same day...should be fun...=) i'm probally going to have to pass on meeting up but again, thanks for the offer...see ya still in wva? =)

-dave

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

AWWW MAN i'd love to, but i can't...

i'm crawling out of my skin as it is not having her here now...=)

i can't wait a single minute longer...it's sick and it's sad, but i'm bitten...bad!!

-dave