To shift or not to shift

lngbrd

I am going to have trouble describing this problem, but here goes; at times when the clutch is engaged and I am starting the car it will leap forward as if the clutch is not engaged. Then other times it's just fine. Other times it will not want to disengage, particularly when it's in reverse. Lastly, there will be times when it will not go into gear at all. I just had my shop put in a new master cylinder for the clutch. Is there some adjustment that needs/can be made to the master cylinder or was I just snookered by my shop? They have always done excellent work in the past being taken advantage of is not their reputation.

Surf sucks in Texas

lngbrd

I'm sorry your probably a nice guy but it irritates the crap out of me when your default is.....

"did I get schnookered by my shop?"

Wake up! It's not like someone who has a decent reputation would go ahead and 'schnooker' you. Stop trying to blame someone (or even insinuate blame) before you even get a clue what actually is going on with your car!

Man up! I see this too often on lots of forums.

.... it's the shop's fault ... or ... The manufacturer screwed up ... have you even tried contacting them regarding the issue before you came whining on here?!

OK rant over, just think a little more next time.

....SO THE CLUTCH MASTER REPLACEMENT WAS TO FIX

the original problem you still have now?

if they bleed the clutch properly (should have

bleed the brakes at the same time by the way)

then the original problem is you have

worn out, dirty, rusty mechanical clutch parts

waiting for someone to remove the transmission

and put new clean lubricated parts in.

02CLUTCH.jpg02HYDCLUTCH.jpg

In my 40+ yrs. of wrenching on everything from smallblocks to Brit 4's, Porsche Flat 6's, Lotus Twin Cams, Jag V12's, and on and on, it has always been my experience and policy to ALWAYS replace the Master and Slave together.

Think of them not as individual components, but as a hydraulic system, working in unison to operate the Clutch.

Each has operated exactly the same number of cycles. So, if one fails, the other cannot be far behind. Add to this that the new component has greater resistance because of fresh seals. This increases both the pressure in the system and the burden on the other worn component. And, you are still not operating at 100% efficiency due to the worn counterpart. I also swap the hydraulic hose for the same reasons unless I have a Flex-Steel Teflon Hose (which I almost always use).

Must you change them both? No, but as mentioned, you are not getting 100% of the system if you don't. And, you may need to redo the job again in short order, costing more money, more downtime and less enjoyment from your car.

Cheers!

My guess?

It's a clutch problem, and 98% chance it's the hydraulics.

Replace the slave and the line, and then if it keeps doing it,

replace the master again. They DO sometimes come

out of the box damaged.

Oh- make sure the clutch pivot in the floor's not binding-

long shot, but if it's not uncovering the fluid inlet port,

sometimes air will take up residence in there...

t

"Man Up", what are you some third grader. I've been on the phone back and forth and back to the shop. I have an excellent working relationship with them, but even the best of shops can have a bad day. All I want is to find the underlying cause of this problem

If that's all you, can offer as help, step aside and let others with productive and positive things to offer. "Man up" get real.

Bummer Dude

[/i]lngbrd

[/i]lngbrd

"Man Up", what are you some third grader. I've been on the phone back and forth and back to the shop. I have an excellent working relationship with them, but even the best of shops can have a bad day. All I want is to find the underlying cause of this problem

If that's all you, can offer as help, step aside and let others with productive and positive things to offer. "Man up" get real.

Bummer Dude

[/i]lngbrd

I guess it's only human nature you try and insult me back, but it loses that 'punch' when you fail at basic third grade sentence structure! You need a question mark if you want to inquire if I too am a third grader.

I can sympathize with the guys that your claiming maybe snookered you. For the most part, shops that still work on these wonderful little cars take great pride in their work and would/do go beyond any typical repair shop to make things right with you.

Hope you get things sorted out with the clutch, but please just try to think how your shop would feel when reading your first post.

• 2 weeks later...

I stand down. You have a better command of spotting errors in English punctuation errors in this forum than most. I stand corrected and apologize to all offended. In the future I will be sure to dot all my i's and cross all my t's. As you say, you never know who will be reading this perhaps even the shop staff.

lngbrd