What is the trick - please advise

worzella

I am installing my center carpet piece and want to test fit my new center console I built.. but I cannot get the shift shaft disconnected. It does not unscrew as I had thought it would, but rather, as this pix shows, there is a notch at the bottom. Inside there seems to be a pressure ring that the shaft

goes over.. you can see the hump around the circumference of the shaft bottom.

Do I push into this notch somehow to free up some clip?

Do I just pull hard and yank the shaft over this inner ring?

Thanks for the advice...

Randy

post-14769-13667634417737_thumb.jpg

there's no need to take the shifter off to install the center carpet section...the holes should be cut for your shifter and park brake

glue in the front of the center section, starting at the top of the hump and working down on each side, then move to the rear...no problem if you don't glue it under the shift surround and around the park brake...glue what is easy to get to

Thanks.. the carpet is not the problem Esty... it fits fine. The problem is lowering my center console over the long shaft AND get it to move forward under the dash. There is just not enough wiggle room... anyway, I want to remove the shaft and have it blasted and painted.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy, when I put my center cosole together, and take it apart, I un-screw the plastic shift surround from the side panles and remove the side panels without it, then remove the surround alone.

What style ctr console do you have??

And you disconnected the lower end of your shift lever? (You've got quite a few bits involved.)

Having a freshly painted stick shift is very rewarding. well worth the time.

Scott

Scott,

My center console is "home made"! The original Behr unit console was all crumbling so I bought a used standard console.. but the vinyl was torn and full of nicks. So I decided to cut panels out of wood and use various parts n' pieces to create my own.

I do use the lower front part and could remove it as you suggested (good idea!), but I plan to have the whole console painted and don't want to break it down once finished.

I'll try Bill Williams suggestion about getting the ring out... but his closing

phrase has me worried ;)

But I'll deal with that when I want to put it back together!

Thanks,

Randy

Randy,

It takes some doing or a lot of luck to get that ring to pop back in the first time.

As you can imagine, the ring is springy and bigger than the slot it is to go into. So you just have to devise your own way to start the ring in the slot and force the last bit of in the slot while not letting what you already have in the slot come out. Needless to say, you are doing this while in some tight spots.

Retaining ring pliers are not all that helpful since that ring is just a ring of metal with no holes.

Randy,

Retaining ring pliers are not all that helpful since that ring is just a ring of metal with no holes.

??? My shifter assembly has a circlip with (2) holes for use with pliers. See my first picture. The circlip had just been removed from the tower and is sitting at the base of the chrome shifter piece (spread apart). I've R&R'd that piece 3 times.

Old picture

b6ae9b35.jpg

Newer picture

pics1282010003.jpg

Thanks guys... appears to be two different designs.. mine is on a '75 and matches Bill's description. I popped it off easily tonight and see all the "bits" that fall out of the shifter shaft once it is out, as Scott alluded to.

Sometimes it seems these designs were done to keep the metal washer and rubber grommet people in business.... why not just have the shifter shaft screw onto the short shaft coming out of the tranny tunnel...

Anyway, it will be a while before I need to put it all together again.

Randy