• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early stocking stuffer: 72tii engine # 2762332

jgerock

Spent a few minutes in the chilly garage last night (snow flurries thru this morning). Examined the timing chain and noticed it had a master link just like the oil pump chain. I hadn't seen that because the master link was on the side toward the timing cover.

Speaking of timing covers, since mine is broken in a few places and has the alternator bolt stuck in it, I'll need another one before it is re-assembled. I'll have to get the (2) broken bolts removed by a machine shop when it gets taken in for cleaning and inspection.

Soaking the last piston now - will mix up some dishwashing detergent and hot water for some scrubbing soon.

The engine is much lighter now that it is down to just the block with crankshaft.

I need to buy a heater for the garage.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hernia operation been there done that. the s14 block is heavy but do able. my biggest problem is I have to do so much on my own. I like it that way but sometimes you need help and thats when friends have something they have to do.

Funny how some of us 2002 owners have similar history. Marshall (mlytle) had the double op. this year and is doing the S14 swap in his '75. I had a single last year 1 week before driving to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.

Jim Gerock

• 4 weeks later...

After washing the salt off the Honda, I decided to scrub some grunge off the KF pump and exhaust manifold.

Pump looks a little better, but it appears the warm up regulator is stuck in position. I can peer down the make-up air line stub and see the regulator internals, so that is a good sign. Will take notes before removing anything from the pump when the time comes.

The little plastic cup that allows the vertical shaft to pivot is petrified in place. I had to really pull on the shaft to break it loose.

Note the little square with the number "3" stamped into the edge of the pump housing. Wonder what that stands for?

picsJan162010003.jpg

picsJan162010009.jpg

picsJan162010004.jpg

picsJan162010005.jpg

Jim Gerock

• 4 weeks later...

Removed the front banjo bolt, rear pressure maintenance valve (yuch) and the (4) suction valves today. Not as mysterious as I thought.

IMG_5412.jpg

The cylindrical screen wasn't too bad inside.

IMG_5413.jpg

Pressure maintenance valve

IMG_5437.jpg

Yummy!

IMG_5436.jpg

Washers (3!), suction valves and the top sealing caps.

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

Another view

IMG_5421.jpg

Bottom view of the suction valve

IMG_5426.jpg

Sealing cap with o-ring. I believe these o rings leak over time - especially if the car isn't driven much

IMG_5427.jpg

Looking into pump head

IMG_5431.jpg

This view shows the hollow area from front to back of the pump head.

IMG_5435.jpg

New parts are crazy expensive - this graphic was from a while ago

model2583mospid47141.jpg

Jim Gerock

Wow! How much did they pay you to take that motor? :-D

...Someone had posted on the faq that some simple concoction was proven to work better than PB Blaster. Oh, I found the quote on the 'net (yes I'm very busy today ;-) )

"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce

None ................. 516 pounds .

WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25

PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35

Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21

Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75

ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 7 months later...

After the first round of cleaning the injectors (soaking in Purple Power) right after I removed them from the crusty engine last November, I recently sprayed some Liquid Wrench on them for separating the pieces.

Today, I was easily able to take all four apart using (2) box-end wrenches (14 and 19mm I think), then the internal plunger was pressed out of the bottom end using a punch and hammer. Fortunately, the Liquid Wrench soaking made them come out much easier than I was expecting. Some other used injectors I have literally broke apart when disassembling.

Now apart, I soaked them again in Purple Power solution, then ran each set in my ultrasonic cleaner, rinsed with hot water and blown out. To keep them from rusting in storage, I sprayed and wiped more Liquid Wrench on all parts before loosely assembling the (4) individual parts.

Here is the bottom (base) of the injector after removing the upper section (before cleaning). Most I have taken apart have a small washer inside.

IMG_6410.jpg

Here is the upper adaptor that screws into the lower section. You cannot goof this piece up - it has different threads on the ends. Larger threads go into the bottom injector, smaller threads accept the nylon high pressure line coupling from the pump.

IMG_6411.jpg

IMG_6412.jpg

After cleaning in the ultrasonic unit

IMG_6413.jpg

IMG_6414.jpg

IMG_6415.jpg

Here they are after a light coating of Liquid Wrench. Will send them out in the future for testing and maybe a black oxide coating.

IMG_6416.jpg

IMG_6418.jpg

Jim Gerock

Thanks Mark. It's amazing what a little soaking and scrubbing can do for old car parts. Here is the # 1 injector "as purchased"

pics11272010024.jpg

I wish I had more room to have a proper workshop with big air compressor, bead blast cabinet, old oven for powercoating, bench, vise, etc. My "bench" is either the floor, a piece of wood or the plastic trash tote bin.

Jim Gerock

Guest Anonymous

Its funny, you watch some of these "automotive" (trucks, hot rod or whatever) and the tools they have - hell yes I could do alot more than I do with the gear these guys have. Soda blaster - yes please, sorry though no room. Since my son went off to College last week we are doing some major spring cleaning in September - some reorg in the garage this week and I will be back on the ALPINA car this weekend. Really amazing how much corrosion on some of those parts. Looking forward to future updates.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

• 3 years later...

Time for an update on this engine!

Just picked the short block components up from the machine shop today.

A0AC59ED-625A-4E0C-A8AE-5B1A0F097D92_zps

75D6077A-F8AC-4436-B33B-4460BFF43BE8_zps

7CA2F9FC-4A78-4943-8D14-96973BF609B4_zps

6B797170-AA78-4631-AE08-714C4690A5EE_zps

Cylinder head (and upper timing cover) was machined and prepped by Jim @ Korman in NC about 1 year ago.  Now has a Schrick 292 cam, HD springs, new hardware, etc.

2F1F0C4C-67F7-41CC-8670-2E230B5034A1_zps

Jim Gerock