14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Daily Driver

SailLaser

In 1973, I had a 2002 that I never ever worried about snow or salt as I road tripped my way thru-out New England, There is a lesson there somewhere. I have a 46 Willys jeep that I restored over a ten year period while I drove it - I now plow snow with it - in ten years it will probably rust away - oh well. Drive your car if you want - I am envious as I fondly remember driving my 02 in the snow. Of course my tii will be tucked away this winter but perhaps at some point it will have fun in the snow.

snow covered hills that front wheel drive SAABs could only get halfway up before having to turn around--but the road salt will take its toll. I drove my '69 through 30 Ohio winters...then spent 5-6 years off and on fixing the rust--and I had done some rust repair during those 30 years.

It is possible to do a pretty thorough job of rustproofing all the vulnerable spots on a 2002, and while it won't eliminate the dreaded tinworm, it will slow it down.

If you have (or find) a really pristine car, I'd think twice about exposing it to a lot of road salt, but if your car already has some rust, do some rustproofing in the vulnerable places (check archives for lots of info on this) and have at it. 2002s are, after all meant to be driven.

And BTW if you're looking for some 185/70 studded snow tires, I have a friend here in Ohio with a set for sale.

cheers

mike

When I moved to Ohio 15 years ago my 2002 was my only running car. Before that I lived in Ma. for a year or so and drove it all the time. As a matter a fact, when I finally parked it (to help slow the rust) I had yokohama snow tires on it. Winter (rust issue aside) can be very hard on these cars. Good heat, defrost (front and back) good working wipers and washer squirter plus locks that don't freez are a requirement.

I remember working at a ski area (Jiminy Peak) at night. I'd come out to my 02 in frigid temps. Get one shot at starting before the Webbers froze up. Couple of pedal pumps and start. Once it would fire, I'd keep it at the lowest rpm that would keep it running. I'd have to sit there in the cold, foot on the gas, trying not to breathe so the windshield wouldn't frost and fog. After 10 min or so the motor would have enough heat to keep the Webbers from freezing.

Fun? Yea sorta.

John