• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure blowing out filter gasket

Abel Sanchez

I just rebuilt my 1602 motor and when it started oil gushed out of the oil filter gasket. I suspect it's the oil pressure release valve but I would like run some additional test before I commit to removing the oil pan. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? I installed a new oil pump as part of the rebuild.

Abel

'74 1602 Golf

'75 2002 Siena Braun

Does your engine still use the early style oil pump? If so I can almost asure you it's the pressure relief valve. There is the possibility the valve is assembled incorrectly if you have the new style pump. There is almost no way it can be anything other than the relief valve no matter what pump you are using.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Check the cold starting pressure- if it's over 80, it's a stuck bypass.

As I spooted just yesterday, some filters don't have their gaskets

properly installed.

(a new pump will be gearoter, not gear- and damn, at current

prices, I'd bitch up a storm if it turns out to be defective)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You can lower the pan with the engine in the car but it won't come all the way out with the oil pump in the way. You might be able to remove the relief valve with the pan just hanging on the crossmember/oil pump.

If you have the new style pump I'm guessing you assembled the relief valve incorrectly. Looking from the bottom of the pump there should be a small tube sticking about 3" out of the pump. There is a snap ring that holds a "washer" with the tube sticking through it, remove the snap ring and the washer, tube, spring and relief valve piston should come out. The assembly should be the piston on top with the closed end facing up. The spring up inside the open end of the piston with the SHORT end of the tube in the bottom of the spring. The "washer" then slips up the LONG end of the tube and rests on the collar of the tube, this all is installed up from the bottom of the pump and is held in place with the snap ring.

My guess is the tube is installed with the LONG end aimed up and it will not allow the relief valve to open. I have seen this a few times before because with the pump off the engine the piston, spring and tube can fall out the top of the pump. If you did not see how it came apart it is easy to get the tube in up-side-down

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Check the cold starting pressure- if it's over 80, it's a stuck bypass.

As I spooted just yesterday, some filters don't have their gaskets

properly installed.

(a new pump will be gearoter, not gear- and damn, at current

prices, I'd bitch up a storm if it turns out to be defective)

t

Hey Toby, My cold oil pressure is ~80psi and drops to ~40 when the engine is at operating temp. What's normal?

Mike

74 2002

If he has a spin on filter housing it is the correct one. The very early M10's had a canister style filter. Once they went to the spin on they were all the same baring the oil fittings and pump support for the TII's and the oil cooler attachment/t-stat for the Turbos.

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Hey Toby, My cold oil pressure is ~80psi and drops to ~40 when the engine is at operating temp. What's normal?

Err, at what revs?

When the bypass valve sticks, it lets pressure run a LOT

higher. If you never go over 100 cold, your bypass is working fine.

'normal' cold is usually in the 80 psi range max,

then warm, 20- 30 at idle, 55- 60 at 2krpm or higher.

yours may vary!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I just rebuilt my 1602 motor and when it started oil gushed out of the oil filter gasket. I suspect it's the oil pressure release valve but I would like run some additional test before I commit to removing the oil pan. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? I installed a new oil pump as part of the rebuild.

Check and make sure you didn't double stack the gasket on the filter FIRST, sometimes they stick on the filter housing and you'll spin the new filter right over the top of it. It makes a mess.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

I found the problem and fixed it. I removed the oil pan and then removed the oil pump. The valve and spring were installed correctly, however the stem that hangs into the pan was installed backwards. The longer segment was inside the pump and the short segment was outside, so when the valve was pushed down it quickly hit the long stem. The old oil pump has the stem attached to the nut and can't be installed incorrectly. I flipped it around, reinstalled it and 3 hours later I had a running engine, sans oil leaks.

Thanks everyone for pointing out the problem.

Abel

'74 1602 Golf

'75 2002 Siena Braun