14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Engine too cool?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Took my '76 for its last drive of the season yesterday. A couple of weeks ago I had the radiator repaired and the coolant replaced. Since then temp gauge doesn't get out of the blue; this was true yesterday, even after about 2 hours of spirited driving. Is it possible that the cooling system works too well? It doesn't seem to be a big deal -- car runs fine, but I find it curious just the same. Anyone have the same experience?

Hugh

after a 320i radiator was installed. I feel better better now that the gauge was not 3/4 hot on a summer day.

With a 71c t-stat Curtis Ingraham, before he passed, told me a more efficient radiator was the way to go. Unfortunately, Curtis was too ill to build one for me.

What if any are the ramifications of an engine running "too cool"?

Don

Guest Anonymous

YES too cool...IF the gauge is correct. It sounds like either the T stat is too cold or stuck open. I find it common for people to start throwing in a very cold Tstat when it starts to run warmer rather than fix the problem it was having....

This may be a dumb question, but I don't see how the cold thermostat would make a difference after the initial warm up period: it might send coolant through the radiator earlier (and delay warm-up), but after an hour or so of driving wouldn't the temp reach the same equilibrium point? In my case the thermostat may be a "cooler" one, as the car was originally an Arizona car. But I didn't do anything to the thermostat when the rad was repaired.

YES too cool...IF the gauge is correct. It sounds like either the T stat is too cold or stuck open. I find it common for people to start throwing in a very cold Tstat when it starts to run warmer rather than fix the problem it was having....

This may be a dumb question, but I don't see how the cold thermostat would make a difference after the initial warm up period: it might send coolant through the radiator earlier (and delay warm-up), but after an hour or so of driving wouldn't the temp reach the same equilibrium point? In my case the thermostat may be a "cooler" one, as the car was originally an Arizona car. But I didn't do anything to the thermostat when the rad was repaired.

If the gauge is correct then your thermostat may have gotten stuck open. Sometimes when you mess with other parts of the cooling system it knocks chunks of built up deposits that can get stuck and hold the thermostat open... this would allow coolant to flow through the block and head all the time keeping it at very cool temps.

They are cheap. Can't hurt to put a new one in and see if that's the issue.

Good Luck!

Guest Anonymous

The temp gauge is a good visual reference.

How's about measuring the running temp after driving for awhile with a thermometer. Maybe the visual reading that you are getting is perfectly fine, temp wise..for your car.

Shucks all things being equal I would like to get my radiator repaired where you got yours repaired =)

ira