dammit she's dead Jim! my '02 died. ideas?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

lately my 1970 stock single-barrel '02 has been acting like it is either running too rich or mis-firing under certain conditions. Then yesterday morning i had to use full choke and 80% throttle to get it to start. Once it was warm re-starting was not difficult, but after it got cold again later in the day it was displaying the same difficulty starting as previously. So far I have swapped out:

spark plugs

spark plug & coil wires

distro cap

rotor

and no change in behavior. I'm probably going to do the condensor and then the points, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas? I know I'm getting gas (smells like it at the tailpipe) and timing has not changed one iota (distro is tight and hasn't been messed with since my last tune up 9-12 months ago)

anyone who has ideas please post them to the forums or email me directly.

thanks,

Ben_in_CA

ps. it's odd that the bmw2002faq site doesn't have points or spark plug gapping info. hint-hint.

Guest Anonymous

oh I'm definitely replacing the single-barrel carb. Given that this whole shebang just went belly-up and the plugs were nicely fouled I cannot wait to finish building my megasquirt system and install it. megasquirt is a DIY fuel injection kit and with the throttle-boy/injector/intake combo I am putting together I should be getting a nice performance boost out of the bargain.

and no more manual choke!

-ben