• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 vs 320 head

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yes, it will, but you'll have to use an electric fuel pump, as there's no provision for the mechanical one on the 320 head. And hopefully you're talking about teh '77-'79 320, because the '80 - '81 320 head has injector holes in it that you'd have to plug, and even after doing that you'd lose a bit of compression.

good luck,

Dave

Guest Anonymous

Did this on one of my 02s, wished I would have done it sooner. Nice, smooth motor with plenty of pull even at freeway speeds. Parts are fairly cheap too.

Guest Anonymous

I'm curous about using the 1.8 head on the 2.0 bottom end... I've heard you'll lose some compression if you don't change the pistons. did you use higher compression pistons, or stick with the ones in the block? I have the flat top pistons and fear that I would lose significant compression with the 1.8 head.

thanks,

Dave

Guest Anonymous

I got the car like this but I wanted to put weber dual carbs on it.It looks like its an FI head because the injector holes are plugged.As far as pistons,I have no idea??

Guest Anonymous

if someone else put a 1.8 head on there and it's working fine, I don't know of any reason you couldn't do the dual carb setup. The carb manifold should bolt right up to the 1.8 head.

the piston issue is just that the 320s with the 1.8 head had domed pistons to increase the compression lost when they made the changes to the 1.8 head from the e21 head. So if you use flat top pistons you lose a bit of compression. But if someoone built the motor that way, they took care of the piston issue at that time, either using higher compression pistons or just sticking with the originals and not worrying about the slight compression loss. Either way it's fine.

good luck,

Dave

Guest Anonymous

I believe it was an L-jetronic with the single wire 02 sensor. The wiring harnes was suprisingly simple to meld together. BMW uses standard color codes and several of the wires matched up from an 02 to the 320. My block had the flat top pistons, so there was no interference. As for a loss of compression, Oh well. I'll take the improved flow, better response, and drivability. If you want, I can find my wiring and hose routing notes to email to you.

Guest Anonymous

The pin is a different offset on the 1.8 pistons and from all reports will not work (i.e. pistons hit the head)

Guest Anonymous

otherwise the pistons will hit the sealing ring on the gasket and sound like the rods are falling out.