14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Steering shaft spline question

Does anyone know where to get a u-joint for the '02 steering column? The thread count is 36 and shaft diameter is somewhere between 17 and 18mm. I picked one from an E30 and they are 54 spline with the same diameter shaft. I've got an E21 rack which the E30 u-joint fit on so I'm guessing E21 stuff is only 36 spline for the steering wheel mount.

I've searched all the online retailers that I can think of but no one seems to offer anything metric splined.

EDIT:

I'm beginning to think the E21 upper u-joint between it's rubber "donut" and steering wheel might be the coarser spline and that piece could be installed in place of the '02 rigid piece which bolts to the steering shaft. I saw one at the yard yesterday and strangely it's riveted in place instead of bolted like the '02 and E30's. I wasn't able to cut the rubber donut to get it off but maybe with a sharper razor blade...

If you want to replace the original style rubber disc with a true universal joint I found that no other BMW had the same spline as a 2002. After some wrecking yard searching with an 02 steering column under my arm I found that a series 1 Toyota Tarago had the same spline.

I bought the top part of the adjustable column that has two universals, one end being welded the other splined, and made one complete double splined joint out of two.

I fitted the universal to the steering column to give more room for exhaust pipes on my RHD 2002 with S14 engine.

Thanks Tom! I'll have to check out the yards for one of those.

I had a second thought of using the E30 u-joint, an <86 E21 E30 steering column, and an 86+ column combined because they are much shorter, and an e30 piece from the steering rack to steering column. That would require a bit more work though with two steering column braces.