14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Car running rich and a fix????

jrhone

OK...so the car is running well...except I get an exhaust smell...Its not a fuel smell its definately exhaust. Its fairly new...within 4 months or so. I have a new Weber 38/38 and new Canon intake...but thats been on the car for about 18 months. The smell just started maybe 6 months ago. I tried to lean out the carb, but it started to idle really rough, and then it would try and stall when coming to a stop...then gradually climb back to a normal idle. I thought about the things I did in the past 6-9 months and bam...it hit me...In diagnosing my cooling system...I installed colder spark plugs. NGK BP6ES. Could this account for more unburned fuel which is then getting pushed out and giving me my exhaust smell? In addition to a black rear end (the cars not mine...lol)? I also at startup have liquid coming out of the exhaust...I thought it was coolant, then oil...but now maybe its unburnt fuel? Car does not seem to be using or burning oil, and its not coolant..that level does not change...so my thoughts are a hotter plug a BP5ES...maybe a BP4ES (is there such a thing?)?

Only reason I say that is because its one of the things that was done...and my theory makes me think there is unburned fuel...I can be wrong...and have been in the past...just thinking out loud...my brother a much better mechanic than I am thought it sounded like a good idea to try the hotter plug...My fuel economy has also been horrible recently...about the time the plugs went in...although I had a bad head gasket at that time as well, which was the reason for the temp issues, as well as idle and smoke...now those issues are gone...the running rich/unburned fuel thing is bothering me. I would think it was jets but it was fine for 12 months..so I dont think thats it...

The moisture is just condensation, more than likely. If its gas, you have a real carb issue, and odds are slim. My car blows black water when I first fire it up in the morning or what ever. My garage door looks like its been hit with paint balls.

But I believe the black soot would be from a rich condition. You can smell the pungent fumes when it is running rich. Much like you can smell antifreeze when a head gasket blows.

steam is a by-product of internal combustion every motor does it. white smoke out of the tailpipe and excessive coolant consumption not normal. i realize thats not what you said but if your concerned with excessive steam out of your tail pipe start monituring your coolant level. the other thing you could do is buy a liquid block tester kit (ther about $20 off of the Snap-On truck) it will tell you how much Hydrocarbons are in your coolant.

Tailpipe vapors on start-up, especially in cold weather, are normal. When you turn off a warmed up car and it sits overnight you have condensation build up in the mufflers and tailpipe, unless you live where I do, with the humidity in single digits most of the year and even then we get a little.

And I also run NGK BP5ES plugs and have no problems.

Bob Napier

condesation might be normal, but it sounds like hes got more then the normal amounts. i say this because on my 73 mustang i had a similar prob, lotsa water drops comming out, blowing black chunks of wet soot. was nasty. turned out my carb had some issues and had to be rebuilt. so i think that if its drops, and soot, check the carb tuning, notings clogged. mabeye changing plugs altered your nessesary fuel setttings in the carb.