Summer and Winter are 2 different seasons.

Frenchee

So this summer my heater box was leaking coolant. Why the hell do I need a heater in California?

I decided to bypass it.

Well now I drive around seeing my breath at night. IM FREEZING.

I remember seeing aftermarket heaters that can be used. I want something powerful.

I dont really feel like going through a whole heater box refurbish. Just wanna plug some crazy after market heater in.

I saw some people have done it but I have searched for 30 min and cant find the pages.

Anyone know of any heater ideas?

I dont really feel like going through a whole heater box refurbish.

I still think that the easiest way to get decent result is to fix the original one. There's good instructions and yes it's a pain but not that bad once you get started. Compared to putting there something that's not made to fit...I don't think it would be easier and it'll still be hack job.

Though you notice the difference of seasons the original heater has plenty of power for California "winter".

Tommy

You could always buy one of those little ''hot rod'' heaters I put one in my Lotus 7, they are reasonably small and pretty good , but you would still have to install it ....those little plug in ceramic ones are absolutley useless , they will demist one side of your windscreen thats it, I would probably rebuild the BM one, its not that hard .

If your original one is toast, just install a good used one. I replaced the top cover on mine (badly cracked), mixed up some JB Weld on the bottom housing and installed a new motor. Now, when I drive, I don't have to turn the fan on - just open the heater flap and the outside air will spin the fan and blast warm air into the cabin.

This was actually a fun job I was dreading because I have A/C.

C'mon - JUST DO IT and have fun.

Find a replacement heater assy, or just the core itself (make sure you get the correct heater core for your car--mid-71 and later cores have larger inlet and outlet nipples and a different valve.)

Refurbish the entire heater box or if you just get a core, have a radiator shop clean it out, pressure test and repair as necessary.

Then pop out the old heater, and either replace it with a whole refurbished assy or dismantle, install the new core and reinstall.

So long as you don't have A/C, heater R&R isn't that difficult and won't be messy at all if you plug the heater core inlet & outlet with a couple of corks (wine corks work great!).

cheers

mike

hee hee- I feel your pain, but not my toes.

I've never fixed the fan in mine (it fell into the core)

and I've been wearing thermal underwear to get to and from work.

Frustratingly, the heat WORKS, but it frosts up the windshield...

so it's there, but I can't USE it.

Sucks being lazy, doesn't it?

hee.

(fix the stock box- I did it ot Jenn's car, and it works OK.

But I disagree with the others about one thing- the stock fan is PATHETIC...)

freezing in Seattle.

t

Anyone know of any heater ideas?

how about this?

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=88409&SC=WIN20001&

Good idea. One up against the windshield, one between your legs and you should be golden for the rest of the winter for under 40.00! : )

dont forget the multi socket adapter. LOL

http://www.sfplanet.com/product/CC-02/Car-charger-12v-Multi-outlet-3-socket-Adapter-by-Just-Mobile.html