14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Trans hitting driver side trans mount-solved

williamggruff

I recently (about 200 miles ago) got my motor and 5-speed trans into the car. I've noted a whole lot of banging going on in the tunnel at low rpms. I checked the exhaust, and it isn't rubbing or bumping anywhere. I checked all over the transmission to see if it's bumping against the tunnel, and it's not. But the transmission is touching the driver's side trans mount tab. Not surprisingly, it's making quite a racket. I was under the impression that the transmission should be sitting roughly in the center of the tunnel, evenly spaced between the two trans mount tabs. At the moment, the trans is touching the driver's side trans mount tab, and is about an inch from the passenger's side mount tab.

I assume that with the trans rubbing against the driver's side trans mount, the trans must be misaligned with the driveshaft, which is stressing the guibo and center bearing, among other things.

Both motor mounts are brand new IE poly. Driver's side motor mount support is reinforced with a substantial piece of steel.

I read the guidance in Eurotrash's thread

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,329750/highlight,motor+mount+lateral/

and am curious as to whether there's enough play in the holes through which the passenger's side motor mount is bolted to the subframe to allow me to twist the motor a few millimeters (counter-clockwise from above), thereby swinging the trans away from the driver's side trans mount. If not, is there an alternative method for realigning the motor?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Grice

Jim,

Unfortunately, I don't recall what the trans looked like from inside. Regarding your reference to the IE motor mount bolt, I'm not certain I can answer that question, as I didn't have another motor mount on hand to compare the position of the stud. Is it possible to install the passenger's side motor mount backwards? If so, would this likely cause the misalignment? I seem to recall that the passenger's side motor mount only goes in one way, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Grice

I figured it out. I can simply lift the motor on the driver's side motor mount. This will rotate the motor counter-clockwise since the driver's side fork is angled up and towards the rear of the car. I say "simply", but without an engine hoist it'll be a bit more difficult.

Just lift the engine up (gently) using a jack and piece of wood under the sump.

Jim,

Last night I put a piece of wood under the sump, jacked up the motor, and reattached the motor mount much further up on the fork, pretty much exactly as you suggested. The trans is still really close to touching the driver's side tab, but I cut a slice of radiator hose and slid it in between the transmission and the tab to eliminate the banging. Additionally, I tightened the exhaust flange bolts after noticing a bit of water dripping from the flange. The difference in the noise level in the car is amazing. I can finally hear the motor and exhaust, and at idle I can actually hear the passenger screaming. It's a wonderful new experience.

Thanks for your suggestions and assistance on a holiday!

Grice

Nick,

Thanks for the ideas. My passenger's side motor mount is slid as far forward as it will go.

On about my fifth look at the situation last night, it occurred to me that the TEP engine stabilizer was really pushing the rear end of the motor toward the driver's side, stressing both the motor stabilizer bushing and the motor mounts. I removed the stabilizer after adjusting the driver's side motor mount, and it looks like I might be in business. Like you, I'll probably need to do some pruning of the trans to create additional clearance with the mounting tab, but it won't require as much finagling as when I started out.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Grice

• 7 years later...

LOL! Thank you for bringing back some fond memories of my at-the-time absurdly loud and vicious setup. I’ve matured since then, and have installed sound deadening, carpet, and a variety of other amenities to improve the comfort of both driver and passenger. Now I can hear the passenger screaming even at wide open throttle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1