ATL area car for sale - anyone know this car?

I still haven't heard back from the e-mail I sent the owner. I wish they had posted a number.

I suspect "some rust" is the problem.

If you do look at the car, could you report back? I'm just curious. I am on the hunt for my first '02. I think I have gotten more familiar with what is a fair price considering the condition of a car.

I looked at the car a few months ago. No disrespect to the owner, a nice guy, but the rust was a little scary. The interior was kind of rough as well.

Here's a post from the owner that gives you a little better understanding of the rust situation.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,311279/start,0/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,752dbl02/

I've considered selling my 02 tii, atlantik blue. Attached are couple pics. I have about 10k in it due to restoring over the past 4years(some of it my fault for re-doing stuff). No rust in the body panels, doors, fenders, etc.

Complete daily driver. drove down to Bills over in Birmingham a couple months ago for gathering.

Pros - short list, crane electronic ign, distributor re-built and calibrated by advance distributors, gas tank sealed, head re-built, interior in great shape, new headliner, no tear in seats, etc. newer fuel pump(still have original in good shape, along with other parts)

Would probably ask around 6,500 only due to minor things like the floor boards

Cons- the Previous owner replaced floor boards, but I didn't like what he did, but because they put Fat mat on top of the floorboards, I didn' t go back and re-do them.

If you would like more info let me know, I can't upload the other couple pics I have.

Ron

Rome,GA

post-19118-13667634346493_thumb.jpg

post-19118-13667634348139_thumb.jpg

post-19118-13667634349736_thumb.jpg

post-19118-13667634351356_thumb.jpg

post-8166-13667634353098_thumb.jpg

That looks like a nice car. If your sale is not imminent I may can look at it in a couple of weeks.

I'm recovering from a lot of home maintenance (new roof, new gutters, new insulation).

May I contact you in a couple of weeks? We love Rome and wouldn't hesitate to drive up there. (good excuse to go to Schroeder's Deli)

Just take your time. As mentioned, not trying to sell it nor ever placed an ad for it, but if someone is looking for a Daily driver and later wants to tinker with a couple odd and end things, then I think they could without getting beat. I know I've done things to this one, but will never be able to re-coop what I've got into.

I've spent 4 yrs off and on, restoring this one and driving it. she also stays garaged.

Basically had a 75 model back in 2000, restored it and sold it in 03, then restored a VW bug, then sold it after about 3 or 4 years.

thanks

ron

That sounds great. I have a short commute and was thinking of a daily driver and my son is getting more interested in cars so I've wanted to do some tinkering together in the garage.

What year Bug did you do? I've owned a '76 and '69. Absolutely loved them. I think they're great to drive. It's why I want to try an '02 for a while. I'm more of a driver than a collector, and can only afford to do one car at a time.

If "andrewro" is still following this thread I'd love to hear about the 911T you had. My Beetles sparked a fascination for air cooled cars. The 911 is another one I'd love to try someday.

My old bug was a 70 model, the pics that I had are on a hard drive that crashed. Thankfully I did have a couple pics developed to go in the scrap book. Boy, with air cooled, you sure don't have to go back and worry about radiators or water.

Actually, if I sold the 02, I've been looking for a VW Thing to buy or trade for to fix up.

ron

It's been awhile since visiting the samba and almost forgot about it, but yep have visited it. Because just toying with the idea of selling or trading, haven't really looked at any sites. Thanks for mentioning.

Usually hang around this site http://www.volksfolks.org/

and browse e-bay.

Love the bug, but it's the itch for something more than the 50-55 hp, which brings you back to the 02.

thanks

ron

Hey Ultralite, I had my '72 911 for eleven years and it was a fantastic car! I really hated to sell it, but I was buying a house and the car was beginning to rust away because I couldn't keep it out of the weather. Now it looks like I may never afford another but we'll see...

If you get a good driver (probably $15k - $20k these days), they are wonderful cars. Parts can get expensive but they are built like tanks and things seem to wear out only once every 30 years. The fit and finish is top notch, and they are an absolute blast to drive, even the Ts. Don't let anybody tell you that you need an S or a hot rodded 911 to enjoy driving it. Just do the usual due diligence regarding rust and regular maintenance and you should be fine.

The biggest downside is probably similar to that of roundlight '02s - distracted drivers in SUVs can hardly even see you. You may feel overexposed in traffic. That said, if you are an attentive, defensive driver, you will probably do okay. Also, they can attract vandals and pranksters more than most cars. It's not a Ferrari, but it's still not a subtle car.

Regarding maintenance - the early cars are relatively simple, so learn to do as much work as you possibly can, and find a shop you trust to handle the rest. I swapped brake calipers and lines, dropped the motor and put in a new clutch, adjusted valves (which is annoying due to tight access), and did a bunch of other stuff on my own. A shop did the Carrera chain tensioner upgrade, some minor welding, installed used Weber 40 IDTPs when my MFI failed, and some other stuff. Just plan for some shop expenses and try to do as much as you can on your own. Also, try to find a "driver's shop" - even some of the most trusted shops may try to get you to seal up every little leak and drip in these motors, and that can break the bank if you are just trying to maintain a good daily driver.

Oh, and don't expect anything resembling fuel efficiency from these cars, but they can be very reliable. I put 30k on mine the first two years I had it, driving every day in Atlanta traffic in the mid-90s.

Man, that is great to hear. In my garage at work someone has a 911 SC that I drool over. I don't think I can touch one at current prices.

I have 2 friends at work and we all have the same taste in cars. I pitched the idea of forming our own fractional ownership club like you see with the real exotic cars. One of the guys, who has a pilot license, once belonged to a similar club where they split the cost of an airplane among a couple of friends.

My idea is basically the same except let's do it with an older Porsche. Agree in advance to things like: maintenance only, no mods, he who wrecks fixes it, and then sell after a specific period of time.

Does that seem doable to you guys?