Top Gear USA

firefirefire90

Overall I liked the visual, except some of the shaky in car shots.

The hosts on the other hand, I just hope the writing or they get better. They are trying too hard. I think part of the success of the UK version is how natural the hosts interact with each other.

I did like the shaky hands after the high speed run in the lambo. I have experienced the same feeling. Except I think mine was a little more intense 170 mph from a standing stop in 1320 feet. On two wheels. The rush goes away after the second time :(

Have not seen it yet.

The chemistry of the UK cast is what makes the show. You don't care what they are doing, you just like to watch. Case in point- motorscooters in Vietnam, Lorry driving, Caravaning.

I'm sure the UK show didn't have the polished look when it first started. I think that would be good advice- don't try too hard.

Of course the hosts aren't fully polished yet. They've been at it for 5 minutes. The UK hosts have been at it for 8 years. And if you've ever seen the first two seasons of the UK version, they are dreadful. This was much better. I think the chemistry will come in time. For a first effort, it wasn't bad. Adam Ferrara is a bad interviewer, but Rutledge Wood surprised me in a good way. I thought he was pretty funny, especially when he was busting Tanner Foust's balls.

I'm a HUGE fan of TG UK and I knew the first shows would be rough. I would have to say the worst was the stupid Viper act. Totally stupid. If the idea was to get to the bridge and back, why wait at the bridge? Come on... Please don't dumb down the entertainment. I'm dumb enough and need to have goals in my life.

That being said, I think the second half was a lot better and caught myself genuinely laughing at the show. Now that the first show is in the can... Please don't explain everything to the viewer.

I'll watch it again.

John

• 2 weeks later...

OK.

Watched 1 and a half episodes.

OK.

My biggest complaint: drop the stupid racetrack window at the bottom of the screen while the "stars in cars" are driving the track. This ain't a gotdang video game. It's bad enough when I have the captioning on, and then that window, and the station logo on the lower right. All I need is to activate my PIP display and add a stock ticker. What was I watching on the screen again?

Show is OK. The UK TG still has that 'draw you in' charisma. I was watching them cross the rain forest and the Andes. My wife walked in mid-show and ended up sitting til the end. She never does that.

UK TG still has that 'draw you in' charisma. I was watching them cross the rain forest and the Andes. My wife walked in mid-show and ended up sitting til the end. She never does that.

That's my beef with so much automotive programming. The shows are just plain dumb. When I watch Clarkson, May and Hammond I don't feel stupid or ashamed that I'm watching them. Everything else on TV is silly. Good God that show with Tanner and that dick head Canadian is the worst thing ever.

Looks like Dennis Gage is one of the better automotive people on TV.

TG USA I think will get better if they can keep it from catering to the lowest common denominator.

John

John,

You are right, the lowest common denominator they are catering to. Not as good a chemistry and let's bring up the intelligence quotient. At least they would be funnier with Adam Carolla.

My wife who calls herself a "car widow" has actually started watching the UK version and likes it because they do not "talk down" to her. She now wants a Pagoni Zonda or a Tesla(cause they look cool). Who would have thought my masters degree braniac wife would like a TV show with cars...

If we continue to dummy down the general populous of the US, we will soon have nothing but McDonald's and WalMart....

God save the queen...I mean Top Gear UK. Glad I have the BBC TV on Satellite.

Russ

catering to the lowest common denominator.

I think that's why I gravitate to animation more than live programming. Animators get a kick out of throwing out obscure references that only a handfull of people will get. Keeps you on your toes as a viewer.

'Mercan TV is sooo scared of alienating anyone in the audience. If viewers tune out, they won't see the Wal-Mart commercials.

Short attention span? Do shows REALLY need to recap what just happened before they went to commercial 3 and a half minutes ago?

I watched the moonshine episode and as much as I love UK TG I don't think I will be bummed if i miss out on the US one. I was looking forward to it but the chemistry is not there. Tanner is great, but the other two just don't do much for the entertainment value. In TG UK they don't act, they are very natural, whereas the US one seems like they are acting too much. I was also disappointed to see the Stig being used in the US show. They should have gotten another "mascot" driver.

I might watch it again if I have nothing else to do, but unlike The Office, I don't think it will have much success with the host they have now.