14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Biemenstien

• 2 weeks later...

I believe what I'm picking up is a 245. The numbers on the back side is 245 0 540 00 and 225.

trans1.jpg

tran.jpg

now my understanding is that I can just replace the 3 hole with the 4. I hope that's correct.

I'm also under the impression that I can use my existing shifter from the 4 speed with the 5 speed.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

That is a 245/5 overdrive 5 speed. You can just swap the 4 bolt flange off your 4 speed. The shift lever will work but you have to shorten the shift tower and shift rod because the trans is longer as well as moving the mounts and shortening the driveline.

Thank you very much. The mount and driveshaft are cake. Been there done that on a number of cars. I'm not real familiar with the '02 style shifters though. I guess I need to look into that portion of the swap a little more.

• 4 weeks later...
Yep, same spline as the later 4 speeds. (post mid-late 70 gearboxes)

217543bb.jpg

seems maybe I don't have the right 4 speed then. the 5 speed yoke is smaller ID than the 4 speed. Anyone got any ideas? Already had the driveshaft shortened with the 4 bolt end, new Guibo here. Trying to get her back on the road this weekend. If I know what I'm looking for maybe I can scrounge it up.

• 1 month later...

.. I am getting ready to go five speed, the donor 245 has a pretty beat looking slave cylinder, can i just use the one from my 1602? or do I need to buy a new one?

and one more question how the hell to fugure out what size TO bearing 215 or 228mm, I need to have all this stuff ordered from abroad and dont want to make any mistakes...

I have very little experiance so far...thanks for the help!