14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Auto tranny help

Guarionex

Hi everyone, My automatic car is having some trouble. It feels like is in neutral gear all the time. Couple of time it changed to neutral by itself in the middle of the road. It happened before but by going back and forth on the gears came back to normal, no this time, I looked at the rod that connects into the tranny and it is moving, so i figured that has to be inside the tranny. Is the tranny gone? Once the gears are engaged the tranny works fine.

I do not want to converted to 5 speed. I like to keep it automatic. I do have few manuals 02's, so no conversion at this point.

Any ideas?

thanks

Oswaldo

I've been driving my ' 75 automatic for 29 yrs. and that's about what they do when the tranny completely fails. I have to admit, I have no idea what actually takes place inside that results in this situation. The last time, at the recommendation of the ZF technicians at the 2004 O'Fest I went with a rebuilt from Peter Schmidt in the south San Francisco Bay area. A long time BMW shop in the Phoenix area (who's owner has been driving a '72 2002 since new) says that's who he gets his rebuilt ZF trannies from.

Bob Napier

post-16029-13667634153837_thumb.jpg

always start your automatic diagnosis

with a fluid "smell" and level check.

Check level when HOT on level ground,

and "smell" should NOT be like a burnt electrical

motor smell - just rosy clean ATF oil smelling.

If the "smell" is like burnt electrical motor, blackened,

your likely toast. Then check control linkage and cable

adjustments and functions.

Drop the oil pan and clean the metal screen, and try new ATF

and you might get lucky.

02AutoTransshifter.jpg

02Autotranscableadj.jpg

02AUTOTRANSVALVEBODY.jpg

AUTOMATIC02vsE21.jpg

02AUTOTRANSDiagnosisTOPHALF.jpg

02AUTOTRANSDiagnosisBOTTOMHALF.jpg

.....oh and make sure your coolent is 'clear' with no ATF

mixing with it from a failed radiator/ATF cooler

2002AUTOCOOLING.jpg

I don't know about the 02's auto tranny, but I've read up on reviews for Lucas 'Transmission Fix' and used it in a few cars. It seems like it's snake oil that actually works quite well at rescuing dying auto trannies, and at least worth trying (cheaper than a new transmission). It's basically just super thick/tacky fluid that does some kind of voodoo on the bands, of which I don't know.