14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Steering Wheel Splines - Early Versus Late

gregh

I have an early '02 circa 1971 (RHD).

When I was visiting the US recently I purchased a later model steering wheel (4 spokes with a padded centre).

QUESTION 1

I brought the wheel back with me to New Zealand and the splines do not seem to match. Forum searches suggest that the splines should be the same. Any thoughts?

The first 1/8 of the splines on the new wheel are galled and it may simply be that I am difficulty getting it started but I'm afraid of forcing it on.

QUESTION 2

I am also missing the horn contact ring and can't remember whether this has the tab that cancels the turn signals. Is this tab on the ring?

Cheers!

Greg

The change from course spline to fine spline was made in 9/85. There are some exceptions (South Africa mfg. made the change later for example), but there are few and far between. Though most course spline wheels will fit an 02, the horn contacts, etc are different. Post a picture of the wheel spline and horn ring.