WOT: I'm thinking about buying '89 525i. Any feedback?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

It has 163k on the clock. 5 speed. Seems to run well. The owner is asking $4300.

Anyone have experience with these? Are they good for 200k plus?

Do I go for it, or hold out for the 87-88 535i?

Thanks,

Gary

1972 2002 (could use a break)

1976 2002 (parts)

Guest Anonymous

..these cars are in the current Roundel:

1990 535i-187k miles-$5000

1992 525ia-180k miles-$4000

1992 525iT (my personal favorite)-89k miles-$6500-but I have seen these cars go for less

I know these are E-34s, not E-28s, but may serve as a comparison. As far as E-28s, I'de search for a reasonable M-5-they rock!

Guest Anonymous

In '91 the 525i received a much better motor and a timing chain. Pretty significant horespower increase too (160hp to 190hp or so from memory).

David

'72 2002

'73 3.0cs

'89 535i

Guest Anonymous

I've seen them sell here in California for about that price. The big 3.5l six is a beauty, they run forever, and they go like hell.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I've seen quite a few first year M50 powered cars going for under 5G w/high mileage. 535i E34 brings fairly big dollars regardless of mileage. IMO the M20 E34 525i is kind of weak. The 21 hp advantage of the M50 feels bigger. The Bix-Six 535i could pull them both backwards down the road simultaneously.

Guest Anonymous

We love it! Its my wife's daily driver, but she wanted the 5spd as much as I did. Its basically a tank with a lot of torque. Very easy and fun to drive. I'd highly suggest being patient and looking for an e34 535i. Both the baby sixes and the big sixes will go 300k with no major problems. You'll have to deal with ancillary stuff, but every engine/car is like that.

Dan

Guest Anonymous

they took care of it, itll be fine, check for timing belt replacement (w/i 60k), if it was me id buy one with the M50....

-Ian