Ignition replacement

tito559

Has anyone replaced the ignition and bracket hugging the steering column? I purchased ignition and door locks with matching keys as I don't have the key to the current ignition. Doors have already been swapped out and I need to tackle the ignition next.

Do I need to remove the entire steering column to be able to change this out or is there a simpler way? Or is there a way to remove the actual ignition tumbler from bracket and just swap the new for old?

Thanks for the the advise and comments in advance!

remove the steering column bracket to remove/replace the ignition switch. In fact, you really don't want to remove it, as it has shear bolts which must be drilled out--a real PITA.

As the other posts mentioned, carefully drill out the roll pin (about 2mm diameter IRRC) and either replace with another roll pin or with a skinny sheet metal screw. With the roll pin out, the ign tumbler (the lock part, not the electrical switch part) will come right out.

mike

What about the steering wheel locking pin (the spring loaded one that inhibits steering wheel from being moved when key is removed)? Is it also part of the tumbler assembly and comes out as a unit? Just worried about when I pull the tumbler out and other parts/springs that may unexpectedly pop out along with tumbler not being able notice how it was assembled.

if you just pull the lock cylinder, the piece that moves the locking pin shouldnt move if you dont F with it. its in ther pretty good, the pring acctuates side to side.

however, after i had to remove my cylinder and use that piece to start the car, it came out, and its a PIA to get back in. still working on that part.

so, good luck

• 1 month later...
if you just pull the lock cylinder, the piece that moves the locking pin shouldnt move if you dont F with it. its in ther pretty good, the pring acctuates side to side.

however, after i had to remove my cylinder and use that piece to start the car, it came out, and its a PIA to get back in. still working on that part.

so, good luck

im in a similar situation flying fool. if you have any information on the column lock mechanism please share. i have a pretty extensive post on this .

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,795735/#795735