The shell roller fixture I just completed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ShellRoller1.jpg

ShellRoller2.jpg

ShellRoller3.jpg

The idea might further develop into a roll-over fixture with some reinforcement of the body connections and additions of vertical bars on the side to roll-over onto. This would allow easy access to the underside. I saw this a long time ago in a hot rod resto book, and more recently saw it done on a 2002 body in a picture shown on "The Werk Shop" webpage. Just not sure if it is worth the extra trouble. A really rough sketch of the concept ;)

bodyroll2gif.gif

Guest Anonymous

I've made a roll-over 'spit' out of an engine stand on the front, and a 4x4 post/plywood stand at the back. It works like a charm on 'big bumper' cars, by bolting 2&1/2" square tube into the bumper bracket holes. If you decide to make a rollover stand out of your creation, beware that you really want to mount the stand to the body near its center of gravity, which I have found is definitely _above_ the bumper line. If you tried to flip yours as you have mounted it, you will need a hell of a sturdy stand, with huge outrunners, to prevent it from flipping onto its roof. Also, you will have to work very hard to flip it back, once it is rotated, because you will have to raise the center of mass of the shell with your back. If you mount it near the natural balance point, it takes very little muscle to rotate the shell.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I had considered the rotisserie route, but decided this was going to meet my needs better. Mostly I want a rolling fixture for the body.

Here are the shots from the thewerkshop.net

04.jpg

05.jpg

Guest Anonymous

That side-flipper deal is pretty cool, it looks like it's reasonably foolproof. I suppose if you get the dimensions right it wouldn't be too hard to flip. The downside of mine is that I can't move the car, because it's a 2-piece rotisserie, and only the front part is on wheels. I've found that it's great for welding the odd parts (Ever try welding over your head?), it gives a whole new perspective on things.

Mike