harnesses?-had to leave before I could check responses

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

....so sorry for the double post but I had to do a impromptue road trip to the twin cities right after I posted my question. Any of you folks use harnesses w/o roll cages? What is a good street harness and where do I mount i? BTW -NEVER trust spring weather in the midwest. I opted to drive the Int AVs clad VW and ended up going through a snow/ice storm. I can't close my hands from gripping the wheel so tight:)!

Guest Anonymous

I have three points with inertia reels mounted to the rear lap belt anchor point. I'm in the north bay if you want to try them out before you buy. (you're in the city I thought)

Let me know

Guest Anonymous

2003451351752269646297.jpg

since we had them on when we whacked into an oak tree. No pain, no injury. Two little bruises on the front of my shoulders from the straps. The passenger, none. Due to the funny angle involved I think it would have really hurt with only a shoulder belt.

Guest Anonymous

..but how is it for rear seat access. I occasionally-rarely even, have people in the back seat but I'de hate to lose the ability to carry passengers altogether.

Guest Anonymous

but if instructor bill has inertial reels for his harness, that is even better. i have seen this on a couple other cars. makes use of harness a lot easier. i have 3 point in sahara with the oem restraints too. i can disconnect harness for back seat pax and still have restraint in front. CAVEAT: harnesses should not be used without roll bar unless on inertial reel. if you flip in a hard harness, it will hold your head in the crush zone and you will not be able to lean fwd. and ball up . that has been hashed over in posts from last year. i have bar and 4 point in the A4. schroth as well. schroth supplies all bolts needed to install in existing seat belt hard points. 3 point cost around 150 a few years ago as i recall. good luck, go inertial and let me know how it is done.... i want that for my cars. ///

Guest Anonymous

back seat isn't that much of a problem as they disconnect fairly easily. I've still got them if you are interested. They are red and like new. Only used them for a few months

Guest Anonymous

He builds STOA racing equipemnt and OEMs harnesses so he can give you a fairly objective POV. Tell him Ivan Johnson sen you

Guest Anonymous

I have read (somewhere) that the shoulder mounting point should not be lower than 4 inches from the top of the shoulders. Any lower could cause spinal injury in an accident (compresses the spin). I have seen many cars with them mounted in the rear lap belt mounting point. (Much lower than the 4 inches). Is this mounting point dangerous? I mounted mime in the rear shelf with a metal plate under the mounting point.

Phil

1970 2002

1991 E30M3

Guest Anonymous

That is a "yep" from me. (not u are way off, I agree!)The Confederation of Australian Motorsport, CAMS (aka, conspiracy against motorsport for those with a gripe :P ) in its manual of motorsport states that there should not be an angle on the back of the belt greater than 40 dgrees from the horizontal. That is the extreme. Strongly recommended is less than 15 dgrees below horizontal. This is for the reason you stated, compression of the spine. Also, at an angle like that, if the belt runs over the top of the seat, or through a slot or the like, it can press down on the top of the seat. This can cause the seat to break at the base, and do nasty things to one's lower back. These are both reasons I have heard from my club's scrutineer.

My dribbling over,

Michael Smola

ps, I have a sparco 2" 3 way, mounted directly behind my seat, on the rear parcel tray, and with severe steel plate etc underneath it, CAMS sez 5mm i think, 50x75mm my plate is about 2 feet wide, and 6" deep, 5mm, with a 1cm lip bent perpendicular, butted against the back of the seat backy plate (so the scabby parcel shelf steel does not tear in the case of a crash; the 1cm lip is butted to the seat back, so no tearing should take place)

Guest Anonymous

rear attachment point should be as close to parallel with shoulders as possible. that is why race car set ups simply attach to the cross bar behind the seat. that is why the guys who have constructed a c pillar high up hard point( some with reel) have it right, as well as those of you who have constructed reinforced point on /near parcel shelf. i make sure my lap belt is really tight- that is my primary body stopper: the shoulders will be painful if i get in a big one with standard schroth install points( angled down to rear seat belt holds). Thanks for the reminder. ///

Guest Anonymous

from what I've read so far on the above link, it seems that structural integrity of the seat itself is critical. I guess a strong seat will take the "load" as opposed to an inferior {Porsche was named-had to chuckle) seat not providing sufficient structural integrity. That said, I prefer to err to the side of caution and mount the straps to the back deck-reenforced of course.

Guest Anonymous

Although the shop that did my s14 install didn't

mention it and clipped the shoulder straps straight

to the sill mounting point. Shall be rectified

immediately.