14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Where do I install the Crane box?

nevadainMN

It seems like near the distributor would pick up too much heat from the exhaust header and there isn't enough wire to put it inside the car.

Can I put it on the other side of the "firewall" in the vent area or is that too wet. It seems like there's a nice little spot there tucked up away from the vent holes. The Crane must be reasonably weather proof because it isn't all that dry under the hood.

What model year do you have?

Mine is a '76 and the coil was already mounted horizontally on the P-side front fender next to the radiator.

So, I fabricated a simple mount. Using some sheet aluminum, measured to the length and width of the Crane box, I made a small open faced box - sort of an open square with the sides turned in.

Using 4 machine screws and nuts, I mounted the Crane to it to form the 4th side of the 'box' which is hollow to allow cooling air to pass behind the Crane. Then, I drilled a hole to accept one of the coil mount bolts and mounted it to the inner fender this way, with the coil mounted just over it.

It doesn't rattle or move and everything stays nice and cool.

Hope my description helps.

Cheers!

It seems like near the distributor would pick up too much heat from the exhaust header and there isn't enough wire to put it inside the car.

Can I put it on the other side of the "firewall" in the vent area or is that too wet. It seems like there's a nice little spot there tucked up away from the vent holes. The Crane must be reasonably weather proof because it isn't all that dry under the hood.

post-2154-13667633997599_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is exactly where I put my XR700 box when I installed in 1993. It is tucked up on the shelf on the passenger side of the vent area behind the engine compartment. Drilled a small hole for a rubber grommet to run the wires thru to the distributor. The box is in a dry spot away from any direct moisture, and is also away from any heat generated from the motor.

Do nto have any pics on this computer, I will post one if you like when I get home from work this afternoon.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

post-292-13667634039708_thumb.jpg

So pretty much anywhere I want judging by the breadth of responses. :-)

Some nice, clean looking installations there.

Unless 02for2 wants to stop by my house and fabricate me one of his mounts. (I live in Prior Lake and will be home all evening) I am going to go with Earl's set up. I hate splicing wires or it'd be inside the passenger comparment.

Thanks!!!